Moving mouse drops resolution?

khardak

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long read in advance but i have been troubleshooting for some time now and have really reached the end of my creative thinking here.

My problem seems to be centered around my mouse, whenever i touch my mouse in a game, it seems to be "angle snapping" or dropping frames
In the loadout menu in BF5 when i move my mouse the whole game drops resolution but not frames. this is hard to describe but its litteraly a stationary image of my soldier which turns to super mario when i move my mouse....

if i pan my camera around in lets say rocket league, the movement would look jerky and not sharp at all. Using a controller however i get no problems at all.
The same in BF5, walking aroung with a controller or just the keyboard no problem. But dare to touch the mouse and movements look jittery and lose resolution
I'm really confused as to what i'm looking at here.

My Specs:
CPU - Core i5-7600k base clock
COOLER - BE QUIET!
GPU - Asus rog rx 580 strix 8gb
RAM - corsair 16 gb ddr4-3200
PSU - cooler master mwe bronze 650
MOBO - MSI Mortar 250M 
OS - Windows 10 64-bit 1907 enterprise
M.2 NVMe (C:) - Kingston  500GB
HDD 1 - Kingston 1TB

Keyboard - cherry mx
Mouse -corsair scimitar

Monitor 1 - AOC G2460V running at 75Hz

In Summary:
- In game resolution drops? camera snapping, many other things have micro and macro-freezes whenever I move the mouse.
- When I move the cursor with a script alone, the stuttering is not present.
- It does not actually seem tied to DPI as far as I can tell. Tried all polling rates and 3 different mice

- when i connect a controller and perform the same actions i get no problems at all. But using a portable keyboard mousepad brings back the stutters.(bluetooth as well as wired)
- If it's really stuttering, sometimes the game seems to freeze but i can alt-tab right back into the game and all is well.

Possible Culprits:
- USB drivers (tried all ports and reinstalled drivers)
- Corrupted default windows mouse drivers (anyway i can check this?)
- Something fucky from Windows Update
- My old CPU and GPU not communication properly. (maybe changing the flipqueue?)
- My eternal bad luck
- Me missing something simple

Things I Have Tried
- Reinstalling Windows, first a 'refresh', and then from scratch.
- Reinstalling my Graphics Drivers, including a 'clean' re-install using external programs and flashing to an older driver
- flashing a new BIOS on my motherboard
- Some less-nuclear options like trying other mice, surfaces, updating Windows, refraining from updating Windows, etc.*
- Going one-by-one through my tray programs and closing them, then trying to see if any create an issue.*
- Reducing my Windows DPI from Custom Scaling (160%) to 150%, then even 100%, to little effect.*
- Performance profiling my SSD and HDD, they were fine.*
- Safe Mode, which might fix it(?). hard to test

- Tweaking settings in the AMD control panel.

-ripping apart the poor machine and checking its organs for something visual like a madman.

At this point i'm not even sure i can find the actual problem since im not even sure what the cause is...

Any advice, insight or just general troubleshooting is very welcome.

Did you try a different game?

More and more games are adapting Dynamic resolution, that is, if it detects your system is under load, it drops the rendered resolution.

Your problem might be the graphics card driver. AMD has been releasing piss poor drivers lately. Can you try different (preferably Nvidia) graphics card?

tried a few different games, all give the same issues. making plans to borrow a friends machine for swapping parts but i still feel it should be in the software somewhere...

Any different ideas guys?

There is a new feature in AMD's Adrenalin 2020 drivers called "Radeon Boost". This feature dynamically adjusts the rendering resolution according to mouse movements to improve performance during fast-paced gameplay.

You can turn it off per-game or in the global graphics settings menus in Radeon Software.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

This seems to have solved the drop in resolution, on both new and old GPU drivers.

The jittery camera rotation remains so far.

anyone got any further suggestions before i start swapping parts?

4 hours ago, khardak said:

This seems to have solved the drop in resolution, on both new and old GPU drivers.

The jittery camera rotation remains so far.

anyone got any further suggestions before i start swapping parts?

Have you tried turning off some other features in Radeon Software as well? Features such as Enhanced Sync, Anti-Lag and Custom Color have been known to cause issues in the latest driver release.

You might want to ensure that anything such as Legacy USB, PS/2 Emulation, Legacy Mouse Support is DISABLED in your motherboard's UEFI. If your motherboard has XHCI Hand-off or USB 3.0 Hand-off or something similar then it must be ENABLED.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

have tried these suggestions but there has been no difference. swapping out parts this weekend.

ill keep u posted if there is a development. Thanks for the comments!