frequent "Event 41" Kernal Power errors

chinnahm

Hi

I am having frequent Kernal-Power Error since my last upgrade. (PC frezes and shuts down without bluesceen) The Pc tries to reboot and the fans come on but i dont get any video output.(I have to hardreset to have it come one properly again)

Hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 3600

MB: MSI B450 Pro

GPU: Radeon Vega 56 (Blower Style)

RAM: Corsair Vangace 3200mHz

PSU: beQuiet PurePower 11 600W

What i did so far:

Run memtest => no error

Buy new PSU => error still happens

Reinstall Windows => no change

One thing i have noticed is that i happens alot more often when I play a demanding game. (happens alot when i play Rust or BattleFront 2) It happens somewhat random, sometimes i can go for like 3 hours of gaming without having any issues but other times i happen like every 20 min.

It sounds like a GPU issue to me but i want to hear i any of you have any ideas.

4 hours ago, chinnahm said:

Hi

I am having frequent Kernal-Power Error since my last upgrade. (PC frezes and shuts down without bluesceen) The Pc tries to reboot and the fans come on but i dont get any video output.(I have to hardreset to have it come one properly again)

Hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 3600

MB: MSI B450 Pro

GPU: Radeon Vega 56 (Blower Style)

RAM: Corsair Vangace 3200mHz

PSU: beQuiet PurePower 11 600W

What i did so far:

Run memtest => no error

Buy new PSU => error still happens

Reinstall Windows => no change

One thing i have noticed is that i happens alot more often when I play a demanding game. (happens alot when i play Rust or BattleFront 2) It happens somewhat random, sometimes i can go for like 3 hours of gaming without having any issues but other times i happen like every 20 min.

It sounds like a GPU issue to me but i want to hear i any of you have any ideas.

Is all drivers up to date? Did you tried ddu drivers before? 
Also how’re the temps of that gpu? Blower style cards are usually running hotter 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

According to Microsoft, at this link, Event 41 Kernel-Power means "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

This is usually triggered by the machine shutting down without posting a valid stop code (which for our purposes includes BSODS which get to finish their log writes, but not those that don't finish their logging).

It can also, however, be triggered by a mechanical shutdown caused by power delivery issues. Are you overclocking your GPU or CPU?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 1/16/2020 at 12:10 AM, Whiro said:

Is all drivers up to date? Did you tried ddu drivers before? 
Also how’re the temps of that gpu? Blower style cards are usually running hotter 

-they should be... Reinstalled eveything a week ago.

-i ran furmark 1080p and it lvled out at 75isch degrees. Also wouldnt that be a different error?

On 1/16/2020 at 1:15 AM, straight_stewie said:

According to Microsoft, at this link, Event 41 Kernel-Power means "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first".

This is usually triggered by the machine shutting down without posting a valid stop code (which for our purposes includes BSODS which get to finish their log writes, but not those that don't finish their logging).

It can also, however, be triggered by a mechanical shutdown caused by power delivery issues. Are you overclocking your GPU or CPU?

This is the report (some of it is in german...):

Protokollname: System
Quelle:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Datum:         15.01.2020 19:09:08
Ereignis-ID:   41
Aufgabenkategorie:(63)
Ebene:         Kritisch
Schlüsselwörter:(70368744177664),(2)
Benutzer:      SYSTEM
Computer:     
Beschreibung:
Das System wurde neu gestartet, ohne dass es zuvor ordnungsgemäß heruntergefahren wurde. Dieser Fehler kann auftreten, wenn das System nicht mehr reagiert hat oder abgestürzt ist oder die Stromzufuhr unerwartet unterbrochen wurde.
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-15T18:09:08.588326900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1073</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-V186F3B</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

-and no everything is on default except RAM which runs at 3200mHz

Under the <EventData> tag, it lists a BugCheckCode of 0x0. This BugCheckCode is used to indicate that there is not a bug check code.

With this event id, a BugCheckCode of 0 usually means that the termination was caused by an undetectable hardware error, which goes back to power fluctuations.

You've already replaced the PSU, so for now we will assume that that's not the issue.

Before going any further, this can sometimes be caused by overheating if, for example, whatever thermal throttling is in place doesn't work nicely with your installation of Windows for some reason. Are you sure nothing is overheating?

Barring that, the next step would be to reduce your memory speed to a standard speed, and see if that fixes the issue. This would indicate either weak memory or a weak memory controller.

If that does nothing, the next step would be to run a full gammut of stress tests, each geared at a specific component. Be sure to run the most comprehensive suite available in the free version of MemTest86 as well. A failure during this tier of diagnosis will point us towards the specific component(s) that might be the culprit. If many of the stress tests are failed, this could indicate a power delivery issue, which might not be the PSU.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I ran aida64 for 35min and caped at 90°C and furmark at 80°C (no shutdowns)

ran memtest86 two runs, no errors. (it keeps stopping for 280sec at test 10 though. also no shutdown)