Hard drive is causing loads of stuttering on open world games

leon12321

Hard drive link:

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/130/ST1000LM024-HN-M101MBB

I moved the game from this hard drive to my SSD and everything works fine but I need a 1TB storage drive but all 1TB SSDs are really frickin expensive. 

Can someone recommend me a much better hard drive or solid state hybrid drive for the same capacity (1tb) under 40 quid? That'd be much appreciated. 

That's old-ass HDD but you wouldn't get any improvement with modern HDDs either, you need an SSD. Crucial MX500 \ WD Blue 3D go for 110 GBP, not sure if that qualifies as expensive or you were looking at smth else.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's old-ass HDD but you wouldn't get any improvement with modern HDDs either, you need an SSD. Crucial MX500 \ WD Blue 3D go for 110 GBP, not sure if that qualifies as expensive or you were looking at smth else.

That's expensive I'm afraid. 

under 40 quid?

No way you're going to get a quality 1TB SSD for less than 80, these TCSUNBOWs are cheap and haven't had issues with the ones I've used.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-SATAIII-Internal-Notebook-Desktop/dp/B07H5BTB34/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=1tb+ssd&qid=1578950650&sr=8-14

You can get a nice 7200rpm 1tb HDD like a baracuda for around 45.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Cache/dp/B07D99KFPK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=seagate+barracuda&qid=1578950588&sr=8-7

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Cheapest hybrid HDD goes for 50 quid, with 8GB SSD cache, so if anything 16GB Optane looks better if you have support for it and don't necessarily need more storage, just to speed-up existing one.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just use your old 1tb hdd for storage...that's what they are good for.  Plenty fast for watching movies, listening to music or viewing photos.  I have 2 1tb hdds in my rig...they pretty much just collect dust.

If you want you can try an FW update: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

The HDD is certainly old and this upgrade (if any) could help you or maybe there will be no difference. Unlike what most people believe, an SSD brings better loading times so less waiting times, however, it does not bring a better performance. That is, you can load a game in let's say 10 seconds but at the time of being live you will not notice any difference to having loaded the same game in 30 seconds with an HDD. Sometimes the storage device simply gets damaged and changing it for another one solves the problem.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

17 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Unlike what most people believe, an SSD brings better loading times so less waiting times, however, it does not bring a better performance. 

Have you ever played a game called DayZ from a HDD ?  You should give it a try...then load same game on a SSD...day and night difference.  Some open world games are so large...that the game makes zero attempt at loading everything into ram...cause it's not possible on most pcs.  When you run around in the open world the game is pretty constantly making calls to the drive for map details and textures.  It stutters pretty bad on a hdd...