HDMI Port not working

7cakes

Hi,

The GPU in question, an Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix OC. ( ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-O8G-GAMING)

I built a computer last month, after successfully booting it up installing windows, drivers etc, the HDMI port wasn't working. All DisplayPorts were working, before you say what everyone else says "Just use the DP then", I need it. It's there. It's a new GPU and it should work.

-Tested with another HDMI cable, then both those cables to a TV instead, nothing.

-Put some 15 year old Nvidia GPU in there instead, worked.

-Tried my old Radeon HD6870 something, except for it being dead and fragmenting, it worked.

-Borrowed a fourth working Nvidia MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC, worked.

-Tried the original faulty GPU in my old computer, still didn't work.

After all this I returned it, pointed out the only HDMI port on it wasn't working.
They take it into testing, says it works, gives me some benchmark results, and sends it back.

Got it back yesterday, tried doing all of the above steps again, even updated BIOS, cleared CMOS and so on, still can't get that HDMI port working

What more can I try?

Can you shine a light in and check the contacts aren't damaged?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can you shine a light in and check the contacts aren't damaged?

Updated the post with some more info^

Can't see any physical damage in the port though

I think you've done all you can, seems its faulty. :(

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Did you try the "detect" option in the display options?  My wife's Vega 64 doesn't auto detect some HDMI devices so you have to manually.

6 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Did you try the "detect" option in the display options?  My wife's Vega 64 doesn't auto detect some HDMI devices so you have to manually.

My windows is in another language so I'm not sure, but I'm assuming you mean the button called what could be translated to "Detect" in Settings>System>Display?
Yes, tried that now, it says it can't find any other displays.

23 minutes ago, 7cakes said:

My windows is in another language so I'm not sure, but I'm assuming you mean the button called what could be translated to "Detect" in Settings>System>Display?
Yes, tried that now, it says it can't find any other displays.

Yes that's it.  The only other thing I can think of is disabling "Virual Super Resolution" and rebooting, it caused a bunch of connection issues with my Samsung QLED TV.

15 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Yes that's it.  The only other thing I can think of is disabling "Virual Super Resolution" and rebooting, it caused a bunch of connection issues with my Samsung QLED TV.

Was disabled by default, tried enabling and rebooting, then disabling and rebooting again, just because I'm slightly desperate. Didn't work though.

Also seemed to be a monitor based setting, and the HDMI connected monitor isn't showing up there, so..

Thanks though

8 minutes ago, 7cakes said:

Was disabled by default, tried enabling and rebooting, then disabling and rebooting again, just because I'm slightly desperate. Didn't work though.

Also seemed to be a monitor based setting, and the HDMI connected monitor isn't showing up there, so..

Thanks though

One last thing you could try is running DDU then starting over with fresh drivers.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

4 hours ago, johnny5c said:

One last thing you could try is running DDU then starting over with fresh drivers.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I tried that now, it gave some interesting results...
-Used it to uninstall all previous GPU drivers I had.
-Installed the recommended ones.
-Things showed up on both monitors! Ish.
Why ish?:
-DisplayPort monitor worked as it should.
-HDMI monitor showed up as 640x480.
Then:
-30 ish seconds in, everything went black.
-Nothing seemed to react, eventually did a force shutdown.
-Turned it on again, just black.
-Repeat, this time the BIOS picture thing showed up on DP monitor, then nothing.
-Repeated again, this time went into BIOS, which worked (DP Monitor).
-Both DP and HDMI monitors were still black when I booted into Windows. I also tried all the other DisplayPorts, but nothing happened.

Then I just switched over to the other borrowed GPU again, and the HDMI monitor worked! The DisplayPort monitor worked too, as soon as I installed the drivers.

Knowing that it still worked with that GPU, I went back to mine.
Now it booted right into windows, even with the HDMI monitor! Still at 640x480 though, and it seems to be stuck there, can't change it through Windows or the AMD software.
-Reboot, HDMI works, but still 640x480.
-Shut it off, on again, HDMI dead.
-Reboot, HDMI works.
-Shut off, on, HDMI dead.
-Reboot, HDMI dead, wut?
-Shut off, off for 10 min, on, HDMI dead.
-Reboot, HDMI works!

TL;DR
Weird events, leading to other weird event
DisplayPort good, HDMI works on 3/4 reboots but always stuck at 640x480, works on 0/3 shut off/on button restarts.

I am mildly confused, and in need of a nap.

Edit: Taken my nap, can no longer get HDMI working by rebooting computer, sad, also hearing high pitched sound, could be from a fan though.

Edited by 7cakes

I have maybe found the problem, that is, if the power supply in the gpu is shorted or burned, the hdmi will not work but the displayport will work fine. 

• 1 month later...

Got it replaced after sending it in for the second time, which took weeks.