How to convert to basic disk from dynamic disk?

RileyTheFox

While sorting out the partitions on some secondary drives, Windows though it would be funny to convert a drive with data on to a dynamic disk. This wouldn't inherently be a problem but I plan on dual booting Windows and Ubuntu very soon on my NVME SSD. And Linux cannot read Windows dynamic disks. So I need to get it back to a basic disk. 

My first option is to just surrender and lose all my data to convert it back to basic. However, there are 3rd party tools to do this without losing your data, but the catch is I need to pay anywhere from £50 - £100 for their 'professional' editions to complete this task. Not very ideal.

Another alternative is to backup this drive to another drive (it can fit), then wipe it and convert it to basic, then put all the files back on. But I have a problem. I have programs installed on this drive that Windows knows about (i.e they are in start menu, add/remove programs etc) so will Windows a) refuse to let me format this drive because there are active programs on it b) corrupt itself or other shit in the process. 

I have no idea why Windows decided to do this, but it has and I'm fucking pissed about it. What are my options and what is the best one (obviously one that doesn't involve losing everything)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

bump

If you can move data off to another drive.

You can clean the disk.

This will allow you to format the disk with a new partition table (MBR) that you want.

Just copy data, then clean disk. Windows keeps track of paths via drive letters. When you format and mount the new volume on the basic disk just assign same drive letter.

Also along with backing up the data, also backup the permissions. This will ensure everything stays the same when you copy back.

Use, icalc for this.

Follow these instructions

http://woshub.com/how-to-backup-and-restore-ntfs-permissions-using-icacls/

On 12/28/2019 at 1:51 AM, tech.guru said:

Here is the instructions for cleaning the disk

https://winaero.com/blog/securely-wipe-disk-diskpart-windows-10/

This will wipe the disk and allow you to initialize and create a new basic disk. Only do this once you backed up the data and permissions mentioned above

How would I wipe the disk if there are programs on it? Wouldn't Windows prevent it if there are files opened in background processes?