iMac upgrade

Hi guys,

I've just got a very good deal for an iMac - 21.5-inch, Late 2012 (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5) which I'm going to use to produce music (seems like music-wise iOS works better).

The problem is that it feels a bit lazy and my ambition (as I'm not the biggest Apple fan) is to get the best of this unit at the best price possible. 

I presume that an SSD would help a bit, also more RAMs will help with using a few tons of sounds at a given moment but I'm thinking also of improving the BRAIN (CPU).

What do you guys think that is the best option for this computing machine?

I don't know, the best CPU to work with it? The best price-performance solution?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

All the best,

Andy, London, December 2019.

Getting an SSD should be priority number one to increase overall performance and speed... You could also get more (or faster) RAM and swap the i5 for an i7

iMacs arent too bad to work on if you know what you're doing and have the right tools (get some suction cups ready!)

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, JoshHendi said:

Getting an SSD should be priority number one to increase overall performance and speed... You could also get more (or faster) RAM and swap the i5 for an i7

iMacs arent too bad to work on if you know what you're doing and have the right tools (get some suction cups ready!)

i know but my question is: can I get any CPU as soon as it has the same socket?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes you can get a CPU with the same socket... Find out what the socket type/number is and we can suggest some better CPU replacements