PC reboots without warning

RedMashie
Go to solution Solved by Whiro,
1 minute ago, RedMashie said:

It's Daisy chained, the PSU came with two cables though but they're both chained in the end

Try to use two cables instead of one, I know what you mean by both are daisy chained on the end but don’t use just one cable. Gpu may not get enough power just from one cable so that may be the reason of all the issues 

My pc keeps resetting without warning, it happens every time I'm doing heaven benchmark and sometimes when i'm gaming but it seems really random when that happens, the only game i can get it to do it in consistently is Heroes of the Storm. I have been trying a lot of different things and I'm getting really frustrated at this point, I don't know what to do.

My specs are:

GTX 1080ti

i9-9900K 3.60 GHz

16 GB RAM

ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151

If anyone could help at all it would be real appreciated, thank you

Your getting BSOD when it happens?

Clear CMOS. (maybe even remove CMOS battery for 5 min, remember to turn PSU off) Go to BIOS -> Enable XMP - disable MCE - When you set XMP II profile - choose No, when it ask for Asus optimization

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

what PSU?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

what PSU?

This. If you're getting reboots\shutdowns without BSOD, the PSU is the first thing to check, next one are motherboard VRM. Well, besides obvious shutdown due to too high CPU temperature.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I had a Corsair PSU not play nice with my system. I narrowed it down to just being a defective unit, but I am neither qualified nor willing to risk opening a PSU to identify a bad solder connection or a bad component.

45 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, besides obvious shutdown due to too high CPU temperature.

That too. Could be an overheating CPU/GPU.

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

what PSU?

It's an Energon 750W

I know it's a cheap PSU but I borrowed another PSU from a family member to test and it still crashed. The same family member also tested my PSU and said it was fine.

3 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Clear CMOS. (maybe even remove CMOS battery for 5 min, remember to turn PSU off) Go to BIOS -> Enable XMP - disable MCE - When you set XMP II profile - choose No, when it ask for Asus optimization

No BSOD. I'll try these suggestions though. Thanks

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

It didn't seem to work but I tried reseating my CPU and GPU as well and it seems fine running heaven benchmark so far.

Most of my crashes happen when I play Hots with my friends though so I'll check if that crashes it when they have time.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

This. If you're getting reboots\shutdowns without BSOD, the PSU is the first thing to check, next one are motherboard VRM. Well, besides obvious shutdown due to too high CPU temperature.

My CPU doesn't get higher than 45C. Only at the beginning of cinebench does it go to something high like 80C but then it goes down to around 40-60 for the rest of the benchmark.

3 hours ago, RedMashie said:

It's an Energon 750W

I know it's a cheap PSU but I borrowed another PSU from a family member to test and it still crashed. The same family member also tested my PSU and said it was fine.

And what was the unit you've borrowed from a family member ? It wouldn't help if it's same crap-level unit.

1 hour ago, RedMashie said:

My CPU doesn't get higher than 45C. Only at the beginning of cinebench does it go to something high like 80C but then it goes down to around 40-60 for the rest of the benchmark.

Then it's definitely a PSU, you have very powerful PC right here, you need equally powerful PSU, and it's not just about wattage or efficiency rating.

What's your location ?

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

And what was the unit you've borrowed from a family member ? It wouldn't help if it's same crap-level unit.

Then it's definitely a PSU, you have very powerful PC right here, you need equally powerful PSU, and it's not just about wattage or efficiency rating.

What's your location ?

My location as in my country? I live in Denmark

I don't remember what the unit i borrowed was called, but it worked for like a week before the same problem happened again.

Also it mostly happens when I talk to my friends while gaming, as in when i use my mic on discord, don't know know how that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, RedMashie said:

Also it mostly happens when I talk to my friends while gaming, as in when i use my mic on discord, don't know know how that makes sense.

It doesn't lol. But your PSU are very old, has outdated topology, lacking protections. It shutdowns likely because you've connected GPU with just one PCI-e power cable, it has 20A limit per cable, you could try to connect it with two cables but that's not really a solution. Get a new PSU, this one Corsair RM650x.

Just now, Juular said:

Even if it's not PSU issue you wouldn't have a fire hazard in your PC at least.

Alright I'll try that, thank you!

I've installed the new PSU and so far it hasn't been crashing but it's been freezing randomly after sitting idle for a bit (which it also did before), but I'm not quite sure why that's happening tbh.

Also while it's frozen if I turn my monitor off and on again it will say it has no connection and I am then forced to reset the pc myself with the button on the front.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, Juular said:

Nevermind the PC just reset itself today without any warning while I was playing Dark Souls

The problem started happening after i installed my new RAM, Motherboard and CPU by the way, stupid that I didn't mention that earlier, I thought I did, I've probably written so many times about this problem that I forgot or something. Anyway I have done a memtest and it found no problems, so I don't know if it could be the CPU or Motherboard doing it and I just don't know what to do. I've spend basically all my money on this pc and it just sucks and I'm getting so demoralized and upset by this.

Ok so last update, I swear, I tried running the on board graphics and it stopped the crashing, but then when i switched back to my GTX 1080ti it started crashing and resetting again, should I just assume it's a problem with my Graphics card at this point? Or maybe the PCI-e slot on the motherboard?

Sorry for all the messages I'm just not sure what to do.

Ok so last update, I swear, I tried running the on board graphics and it stopped the crashing, but then when i switched back to my GTX 1080ti it started crashing and resetting again, should I just assume it's a problem with my Graphics card at this point? Or maybe the PCI-e slot on the motherboard?

What kind of temps you having on gpu ?? If you tried onboard graphic and its fine the problem may be your 1080ti like you suspect. If the temps are high it may crash and give you bsod. May be worth repasting and checking dust build up.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Hmm, so it was fine with same GPU before you've replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM ? Theoretically you could've damaged the GPU by previous PSU when the last straw was installing more powerful CPU. If you're running fine on iGPU then i guess yes, it's dGPU fault then. Try another PCI-e slot.

19 minutes ago, Whiro said:

What kind of temps you having on gpu ?? If you tried onboard graphic and its fine the problem may be your 1080ti like you suspect. If the temps are high it may crash and give you bsod. May be worth repasting and checking dust build up.

There's no blue screen. Temps are 80° at highest. But it doesn't usually do it when it gets there, it seems more random than that. Cleaning the PC for dust was one of the first things I did.

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

Hmm, so it was fine with same GPU before you've replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM ? Theoretically you could've damaged the GPU by previous PSU when the last straw was installing more powerful CPU. If you're running fine on iGPU then i guess yes, it's dGPU fault then. Try another PCI-e slot.

It never shut down before but it did freeze very rarely during gta v as far as I remember. I'll still try the other PCI-e slot when I get up

6 minutes ago, RedMashie said:

It never shut down before but it did freeze very rarely during gta v as far as I remember. I'll still try the other PCI-e slot when I get up

Try resitting your gpu also when you connected gpu power cables did you use one daisy chained or two separate cables from psu ??

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

2 hours ago, Whiro said:

Try resitting your gpu also when you connected gpu power cables did you use one daisy chained or two separate cables from psu ??

It's Daisy chained, the PSU came with two cables though but they're both chained in the end