midplate fabrication

LukaP

im having some problems thinking up a way of doing this kind of a transition out of an aluminium sheet. the problem i have is the corner. any experts that could shed some light on how to do this? i know its gonna have to be made of a few parts, but ive no problem with that as i will grind it to flat and put some carbon over it anyway.

PZsNz10.jpg

thanks very much :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Can you TIG weld?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Can you TIG weld?

i have the knowhow, but no equipment currently, but there is a chance of having a shop lended to me for a few hours so i can do it.

im mostly interested in how to make that corner piece to be perfectly flat with the horizontal and vertical ones :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

i have the knowhow, but no equipment currently, but there is a chance of having a shop lended to me for a few hours so i can do it.

im mostly interested in how to make that corner piece to be perfectly flat with the horizontal and vertical ones :)

I would make it in 2 parts, bottom horizontal piece and the vertical piece. perhaps start with cutting the two sheets of aluminium and putting the bend in them by sticking one of them in a vice with a piece of pipe/tube metal and bending it round the tube. once you have the two pieces cut to size and bent you will want to attach them together either by TIG welding or by creating a bracket and bolting it to both pieces. using a grinder to finish off the corners.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

With that midplate you will be suffocating/allowing no air to pass for the front fans. Unless those two holes are being used for watercooling tubes?

I would make it in 2 parts, bottom horizontal piece and the vertical piece. perhaps start with cutting the two sheets of aluminium and putting the bend in them by sticking one of them in a vice with a piece of pipe/tube metal and bending it round the tube. once you have the two pieces cut to size and bent you will want to attach them together either by TIG welding or by creating a bracket and bolting it to both pieces. using a grinder to finish off the corners.

so i should do it like this?

UB0eAVk.jpg

black-one part

red-other part

green-bend

and then just weld it all together?

With that midplate you will be suffocating/allowing no air to pass for the front fans. Unless those two holes are being used for watercooling tubes?

yeah its going to be watercooled, hiding the pump, PSU and the draining pipe in the basement, along with all the drives. in the vertical part will be a very thick rad(60-80mm) along the entire front of the case, and then another rad on the top

so i should do it like this?

UB0eAVk.jpg

black-one part

red-other part

green-bend

Thats what i would do yes.

yeah its going to be watercooled, hiding the pump, PSU and the draining pipe in the basement, along with all the drives. in the vertical part will be a very thick rad(60-80mm) along the entire front of the case, and then another rad on the top

Well then, that will look beautiful!

Thats what i would do yes.

cool, thanks. 

i am still very much insecure since ive never worked with aluminium as thick as this will be, and am not sure how it will bend...

well i guess practice makes perfect and i should more hhaha :)

Well then, that will look beautiful!

ik ik :) ill make a new thread here when i get anything worth showing.

ill be using this in black sticked onto the frame, in a CM storm styker for a BW build.