Problem with installation

I have an Asus laptop (more specifically Zenbook pro 14) and I wanted to install elementary os. When I boot a usb drive with the iso everything works fine until the partition selection. The installer only sees the usb drive and not the pc disk! What can I do?

What kind of internal disk do you have? SATA HDD, SATA SSD, M.2 SATA, M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Either your disk are GPT partitioned and you boot MBR image or it's vice versa.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

23 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

What kind of internal disk do you have? SATA HDD, SATA SSD, M.2 SATA, M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe?

M.2 Pcie gen 3 x4 NVMe

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

Can you please explain?

1 minute ago, Tesohh said:

Can you please explain?

There're two types of disk partitioning, older MBR (Master boot record) and newer GPT (GUID partition table). Modern Windows versions use GPT by default so if you've partitioned this disk before it's most likely GPT. Now i'm not sure how prevalent GPT support among Linux distributives but it most likely supported, you'll just need to boot the image as through UEFI, there should be two options in the boot selection screen, one for Legacy and one for UEFI.

24 minutes ago, Juular said:

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

you'll just need to boot the image as through UEFI, there should be two options in the boot selection screen, one for Legacy and one for UEFI.

And how do I do that? With the usb drive?

See, when you restart the PC there should be an option to press key to enter boot menu, usually it's F12, F10, F8 or ESC. Now if your image supports UEFI and it's enabled in BIOS (if you've formatted your drive to GPT with Windows then you have it enabled) you can select either legacy boot option or UEFI one, it'll be indicated like that.

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

See, when you restart the PC there should be an option to press key to enter boot menu, usually it's F12, F10, F8 or ESC. Now if your image supports UEFI and it's enabled in BIOS (if you've formatted your drive to GPT with Windows then you have it enabled) you can select either legacy boot option or UEFI one, it'll be indicated like that.

What do I need to format? The boot disk or the usb drive?

Just now, Tesohh said:

What do I need to format? The boot disk or the usb drive?

You need to format the usb drive with Elementary OS image with UEFI mode.

As in this guide (with Rufus), just using Elementary OS image instead of Windows one :

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_Windows_UEFI_Boot-Stick_in_Windows

Linux DGAF if you use MBR or GPT previously, both partition table formats are supported by parted and fdisk, the disk should still show.

It's more likely that the version 4 kernel doesn't have the drivers for your disk, or there is an oversight in the installer.

Grab a minimal install disk for another distro, check your drive shows with a modern kernel, then either use that or poke Elementary tech support.

6 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

Linux DGAF if you use MBR or GPT previously, both partition table formats are supported by parted and fdisk, the disk should still show.

It's more likely that the version 4 kernel doesn't have the drivers for your disk, or there is an oversight in the installer.

Grab a minimal install disk for another distro, check your drive shows with a modern kernel, then either use that or poke Elementary tech support.

It doesn't work with other distros too

1 minute ago, Tesohh said:

I used rufus

But I'll try with the site's method if it's different from what I did

1 minute ago, Ralphred said:

But it's a working disk with an OS on it now?

Yes, windows 10

10 minutes ago, Tesohh said:

It doesn't work with other distros too

What did you try?

You need to try something non-ubuntu based (ideally with a version 5 kernel), then work backwards from there.

13 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

What did you try?

You need to try something non-ubuntu based (ideally with a version 5 kernel), then work backwards from there.

I tried deepin

28 minutes ago, Tesohh said:

But I'll try with the site's method if it's different from what I did

I used that method but nothing happened