Integrated + Discrete GPU Problem

austin_hobbs

Good afternoon,

I bought my first desktop in 2015. It was a 4th gen i5, a 980Ti, and a Gigabyte motherboard. I have 5 monitors. (https://i.imgur.com/RrPQLmM.jpg). I connected monitors 4 to the 980Ti, and the last (pictured above the three) to the motherboard. I got no crashes and the setup worked great for 4 years.

I recently upgraded it this year to a 9700K, kept the 980Ti and an MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard. However, keeping the 5th monitor connected causes my system to be unstable and will freeze periodically. If I disable the 5th monitor in the BIOS, the problems disappear. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I have IGD Multi-Monitor enabled in the BIOS and the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers. 

EDIT 12/28:

It was windows night light causing the crashing...

38 minutes ago, austin_hobbs said:

Good afternoon,

I bought my first desktop in 2015. It was a 4th gen i5, a 980Ti, and a Gigabyte motherboard. I have 5 monitors. (https://i.imgur.com/RrPQLmM.jpg). I connected monitors 4 to the 980Ti, and the last (pictured above the three) to the motherboard. I got no crashes and the setup worked great for 4 years.

I recently upgraded it this year to a 9700K, kept the 980Ti and an MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard. However, keeping the 5th monitor connected causes my system to be unstable and will freeze periodically. If I disable the 5th monitor in the BIOS, the problems disappear. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I have IGD Multi-Monitor enabled in the BIOS and the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers. 

Should change the title of the post, you have a discrete GPU, not external. This is likely a conflict between the Intel and Nvidia drivers. The 980 Ti can only support 4 displays because it only has 4 output pipelines as I'm sure you already know. That being said I don't see why it shouldn't work.... do you have any crash reports that might explain why? Are you playing games on the discrete GPU during the crashes?

P.S. I hope you like that chair, I have the same one and love mine.

1 hour ago, austin_hobbs said:

Good afternoon,

I'm not too familiar with MSI's bios but maybe look around in the bios there might be another setting you need to adjust? Which one is set to be your primary display? IGD or PEG?

3 hours ago, Blatcher2 said:

Should change the title of the post, you have a discrete GPU, not external. This is likely a conflict between the Intel and Nvidia drivers. The 980 Ti can only support 4 displays because it only has 4 output pipelines as I'm sure you already know. That being said I don't see why it shouldn't work.... do you have any crash reports that might explain why? Are you playing games on the discrete GPU during the crashes?

P.S. I hope you like that chair, I have the same one and love mine.

Thanks for the response. I don't know about the crash reports. Where's a good place to find one? I'm not playing games. Believe it or not, it doesn't freeze when playing games. The computer will only freeze when I'm running like photoshop or a programming ide. Sometimes chrome will become unresponsive after the system reboots the graphics driver. I believe the integrated graphics are hanging and the system detects this and reboots the driver.

And yea, it's a good chair :)

2 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I'm not too familiar with MSI's bios but maybe look around in the bios there might be another setting you need to adjust? Which one is set to be your primary display? IGD or PEG?

Yea, I have the "Multi-Monitor" setting enabled. The 5th monitor doesn't even turn on if I don't have that enabled. Right now, it is on but I believe the integrated graphics are crashing and the system is recovering.

Maybe update it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

33 minutes ago, austin_hobbs said:

Yea, I have the "Multi-Monitor" setting enabled. The 5th monitor doesn't even turn on if I don't have that enabled. Right now, it is on but I believe the integrated graphics are crashing and the system is recovering.

I'm sure you've done so, but i'd make sure you have updated the bios. Along with that make sure the chipset drivers are updated.

20 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I'm sure you've done so, but i'd make sure you have updated the bios. Along with that make sure the chipset drivers are updated.

Hmm. I haven't updated the bios or installed the chipset drivers. I'll do that and see if it improves system stability. Thanks.

I've installed the chipset drivers from msi's website and updated the bios (it was successful). Seems to still be a problem.

I also noticed "Night-Light" tends to reset when the display driver freaks out.

Could this be a memory problem? Or possible a faulty CPU or motherboard?

• 1 month later...

Update: After a lot of troubleshooting, I noticed it would only crash at night. It turns out it was the windows "Night light" feature causing all the problems. After disabling it, I haven't had any more crashing. I installed "fl.ux" instead and that works just fine.