RX 5700 Question

Djinnux

So I put a 5700 in my i5 9400f system and have 2 monitors up.

When I am playing games on one monitor and watching youtube tv on the other the tv stuff stutters anyone know why or if I can fix this?

7 minutes ago, Djinnux said:

When I am playing games on one monitor and watching youtube tv on the other the tv stuff stutters anyone know why or if I can fix this?

Chances are your running into a bottle neck somewhere weather itd be ram related or CPU related.

with a 6 core coffee lake?  I have 16 gigs of ram in it too

Guess I should toss the card into my Ryzen 7 2700 box and see if its the CPU

1 minute ago, Djinnux said:

Guess I should toss the card into my Ryzen 7 2700 box and see if its the CPU

I had a 1070 paired with a e5 2680 and I didn't run into that issue but I do know when you run chrome and games at the same time they both fight over threads causing both to be stuttery messes so try to allocate cores as well.

20 hours ago, Kingkems said:

I had a 1070 paired with a e5 2680 and I didn't run into that issue but I do know when you run chrome and games at the same time they both fight over threads causing both to be stuttery messes so try to allocate cores as well.

So you are saying I should probably just not try to do both on the i5 and rely on the AMD for that... got it ;)

50 minutes ago, Djinnux said:

So you are saying I should probably just not try to do both on the i5 and rely on the AMD for that... got it ;)

What's your monitor? I doubt it's a resource issue because I've seen this happen on my 8 core Ryzen. In my case, I suspect there's weird synchronization issues due to the interaction of a 30 FPS video and a whatever-the-heck FPS game and my video card prefers displaying the game over the video. The monitor I use for gaming is a high refresh rate one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, Mira Yurizaki said:

What's your monitor? I doubt it's a resource issue because I've seen this happen on my 8 core Ryzen. In my case, I suspect there's weird synchronization issues due to the interaction of a 30 FPS video and a whatever-the-heck FPS game and my video card prefers displaying the game over the video. The monitor I use for gaming is a high refresh rate one.

I have dell freesync monitors

Try disable browser hardware acceleration and play in Borderless mode instead? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 11/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, Djinnux said:

All games universally? or worse in certain titles?  See if it happens with a really lightweight game.  I'd agree this does sound like a CPU bottleneck issue, you only have 6 threads on that 9400f, they'll run great with no backround tasks but are more likely to struggle with multiple tasks running.  16gb of ram doesn't matter if processes are fighting for contention over 6 threads and most modern games prefer having 8+

Likewise you can try new 2020 driver, but as somebody with a 5700 as well i'd avoid it for now, not for everybody but for a few its been causing crashes if you use features like anti-lag, chill etc. 

19.9.2 has been the most stable driver for me and my friend who also has 5700, till 2020 Driver release gets all the bugs worked out i recommend that one as it worked flawlessly for Rx 5700(XT), if not that one try a few... But likely if GPU is working don't mess with driver, just mentioning incase. 

5 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Try disable browser hardware acceleration and play in Borderless mode instead? 

This can help if you don't mind slightly laggier browser (or in apps like discord), you get used to it, probs not for everyone. 

2 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

This can help if you don't mind slightly laggier browser (or in apps like discord), you get used to it, probs not for everyone. 

Or can try limit game FPS to reserve some GPU processing power for browser/hardware acceleration. ?‍♂️

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

24 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Or can try limit game FPS to reserve some GPU processing power for browser/hardware acceleration. ?‍♂️

I tried this and it helped a bit, doing this and turning down resolution to 1600x900 helped the most (for me, with FPS cap at 100, but i run mostly low settings+high textures, and 3600 may be more resistant to being bottlenecked by BF5), but then it becomes a bit tricky to spot far away enemies, so mediocre compromise. 

The main goal is to see if you can get CPU under 70% utilization, because that on its own, with any CPU seems to incure felt latency even if frame-times seem consistent.  Dono why just seems to for me. 

Jokingly, i think the best solution is to just play BF1 if you are craving a BF game, until EA fixes this.  Yeah i wanna use my FG42 and fly around in a Spitfire but a better working game is more worth ones time then the specific toys inside it. 

Well I dropped that GPU and the new drivers in my Ryzen 7 2700 system and it runs like a top.  I think the i5 was the issue... But the i5 games like a beast still