USB Microphone

NonRelyable

After looking through and trying to ask for opinions on a xlr mic setup, I was wondering if I could just get a good usb mic setup instead.

What I do: Sing / Youtube voice overs.

Price: Around 100$ usd

What the price includes: Mic, mount, pop filter

It's hard to beat the simplicity and versatility of a Blue Yeti at that price which is why they're so popular, but the downsides are it's not upgradable in any way, it's very heavy, so it will likely have to sit on the desk, not an arm, and that means any vibrations or bumping is going straight into the recording, and the quality, though decent, is not professional level.  Granted, I don't think you can really get professional level on that budget anyway, but it's something to think about.

Another option in that budget I suppose is a Blue Snowball on an arm.  You gain the benefits of an arm but you take a hit to the quality and features.

If you could bare to spend maybe 2x that, you could probably get quite a nice interface, mic, etc. that are each independently upgradable, and higher quality as a whole for sure, but that is a big price increase, not to mention you'd probably end up with a single mono pickup pattern, as opposed to the Yeti's options of cardioid, omni, figure 8, and even stereo.  Whether that's useful to you or you don't care in the slightest is something you'll have to decide.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:05 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's hard to beat the simplicity and versatility of a Blue Yeti at that price which is why they're so popular, but the downsides are it's not upgradable in any way, it's very heavy, so it will likely have to sit on the desk, not an arm, and that means any vibrations or bumping is going straight into the recording, and the quality, though decent, is not professional level.  Granted, I don't think you can really get professional level on that budget anyway, but it's something to think about.

Another option in that budget I suppose is a Blue Snowball on an arm.  You gain the benefits of an arm but you take a hit to the quality and features.

If you could bare to spend maybe 2x that, you could probably get quite a nice interface, mic, etc. that are each independently upgradable, and higher quality as a whole for sure, but that is a big price increase, not to mention you'd probably end up with a single mono pickup pattern, as opposed to the Yeti's options of cardioid, omni, figure 8, and even stereo.  Whether that's useful to you or you don't care in the slightest is something you'll have to decide.

I might just end up getting a snowball with a arm but I could go with the 3rd set-up from the video he did a while ago here with a mic arm and shock mount. Not sure if that would be better since it is xlr and can be upgraded.

1 hour ago, Tesuki said:

I might just end up getting a snowball with a arm but I could go with the 3rd set-up from the video he did a while ago here with a mic arm and shock mount. Not sure if that would be better since it is xlr and can be upgraded.

The upgradability is great with that setup since it's all the same pieces you'd get with a $500 setup, just with each of them costing less.  What's amazing and tbh even unbelievable to me is how it can sound the way it does (great) while being so cheap.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The upgradability is great with that setup since it's all the same pieces you'd get with a $500 setup, just with each of them costing less.  What's amazing and tbh even unbelievable to me is how it can sound the way it does (great) while being so cheap.

The only problem I have is this (pic below). I have no idea what interfaces would be equivalent since they do not sell it anymore. 

Screenshot_1.png

4 hours ago, Tesuki said:

The only problem I have is this (pic below). I have no idea what interfaces would be equivalent since they do not sell it anymore. 

Screenshot_1.png

Interesting, we still have them in Canada.  Keep an eye on it, they might get more stock soon

Edit: confirmed that's exactly what you need to do.  I checked the Amazon US page and it says this:

image.thumb.png.c9b7f4767dd0066879d444455b41c126.png

So they do still sell it, they're just back ordered at the moment but getting new stock soon.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers