Laptop Recommendations

I study mathematics, but naturally I have some mandatory programming classes I need to attend, and most importantly code for on the spot. We will be mostly as be using -as many of you can assume- octave and seeing how I already have a pretty beastly programming rig at my home, I was wondering just how cheap of a laptop could I get away with buying, while still getting responsive system (<2 second delay when opening up programs, low input lag, etc).

Would appreciate some recommendations, but I'd like to grasp overall what my basic specs should be (CPU and ram).

Checkout the MSI Alpha 15, it's a steal for the specs you get.

When you're in the laptop customization page, I recommend that you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads." That reduces your CPU/GPU temps by as much as 15C which is a must in today's laptop which sport fast CPUs/GPUs to prevent over-heating and thermal throttling. 

https://youtu.be/fezhS4SBuWA

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Can you tell us what software you will be using ? & Which language you will be using ?

And i think you should look into asus rog strix g core series

I think they are priced OK for the looks & specs

If if you want something more cheaper look into MSI laptop

I think you should look for an i5 9th gen laptop with atleast gtx1050, a good screen & keyboard and atleast 8gb ram (even this config will be overkill for most of the basic programming softwares but i think you should atleast get this specs)

PS

I am no expert

Just trying to help :)