Upgrade to 1440p with only GPU (5 year plan)

Hi all,

I have been running a i7-4790K with a GTX980 Windforce, 16GB RAM on a 144Hz G-Sync 1080p monitor for the last 4/5 years. Although it is still doing absolutely fine in all games if I choose medium/high graphics settings I want to upgrade to 1440p with a stable framerate (as high as possible on a 144Hz G-Sync 1440p monitor) but with at least a stable 80+ fps for the next 5 years. I am mostly up to date with current PC technology but am by far no expert when it comes to matching components so therefor reach out to you guys for a second opinion.

Current build

Upgrade build

Attached image for quick comparison. Ignore prices.

My plan is to only do a GPU upgrade, to a 2080 Super. I was considering a 2080 Ti but it's a little out of my budget so unless you think this is a better option for future prospects like DLSS and Raytracing I will consider it. But preferably not. Secondly I am questioning the potential bottlenecking of the CPU. I don't have it overclocked but would be possible if necessary. Reason for not upgrading the CPU is quite simply budget cuts because of the investment into the monitor. However I do plan to upgrade to a R5-3600 or higher in the nearby future if bottlenecking becomes troublesome.

What are your opinions? Will a 2080 Super suffice my longevity criteria when running 1440p? Will the CPU already be troublesome? I have read mixed opinions on this matter, some report bottlenecking and some don't with mostly overclocked CPU's. 

Untitled-2.png

"You either die a noob. Or live long enough to be called a hacker"

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

31 minutes ago, EquiliMario said:

Hi all,

I have been running a i7-4790K with a GTX980 Windforce, 16GB RAM on a 144Hz G-Sync 1080p monitor for the last 4/5 years. Although it is still doing absolutely fine in all games if I choose medium/high graphics settings I want to upgrade to 1440p with a stable framerate (as high as possible on a 144Hz G-Sync 1440p monitor) but with at least a stable 80+ fps for the next 5 years. I am mostly up to date with current PC technology but am by far no expert when it comes to matching components so therefor reach out to you guys for a second opinion.

Current build

Upgrade build

Attached image for quick comparison. Ignore prices.

My plan is to only do a GPU upgrade, to a 2080 Super. I was considering a 2080 Ti but it's a little out of my budget so unless you think this is a better option for future prospects like DLSS and Raytracing I will consider it. But preferably not. Secondly I am questioning the potential bottlenecking of the CPU. I don't have it overclocked but would be possible if necessary. Reason for not upgrading the CPU is quite simply budget cuts because of the investment into the monitor. However I do plan to upgrade to a R5-3600 or higher in the nearby future if bottlenecking becomes troublesome.

What are your opinions? Will a 2080 Super suffice my longevity criteria when running 1440p? Will the CPU already be troublesome? I have read mixed opinions on this matter, some report bottlenecking and some don't with mostly overclocked CPU's. 

to be perfectly honest im about to drop money on a 2080 super (in the next few days) and my whole goal was for minimum 100fps but prefer over 144 at 1080p at medium - ultra presets for the next 5+ years.

you might be able to save some money by not going a 165hz monitor as im not 100% sure but i dont think that the 2080 super would get close to that a lot of the time in most AAA games

might i also suggest looking at the cost of a SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB Edition Case as it is the case i got about the start of this year and it is a beauty when it comes to overall size

58 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

to be perfectly honest im about to drop money on a 2080 super (in the next few days) and my whole goal was for minimum 100fps but prefer over 144 at 1080p at medium - ultra presets for the next 5+ years.

you might be able to save some money by not going a 165hz monitor as im not 100% sure but i dont think that the 2080 super would get close to that a lot of the time in most AAA games

might i also suggest looking at the cost of a SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB Edition Case as it is the case i got about the start of this year and it is a beauty when it comes to overall size

I'm willing to drop the graphics from Ultra to something like High for some extra frames. The monitor is just an indication of what I'd like. I haven't settled on a precise make and model yet. I'll definitely have a look at that case, thanks for suggesting

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

Dont mind the bed lol, the switch is to show you the size of the case compaired to the nintendo switch

75371685_1826894850787784_4542193602196930560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnX97tnONIrPuZBuV4BNtM7HqUzPWrBo58fOshgMnDK00rrWGuXkA6He0WEIipdoUCU6g32nvmgwBg-rstPoS_7&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_zor=9&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=5ec7c002c437049a12e436480889d19c&oe=5E1A71D0

On 10/27/2019 at 4:33 AM, WickedStarfish said:

Dont mind the bed lol, the switch is to show you the size of the case compaired to the nintendo switch

[Image]

That's a good size but I think i'd like the glass panels more

Full Current Build

7 hours ago, EquiliMario said:

That's a good size but I think i'd like the glass panels more

it does have a tempered glass window on the one side for almost the whole distance