Low power GPU upgrade

Razer06

Hi, I was going to purchase a GTX 1650, as it doesnt need a pcie power connection, is there a better choice for my system, it is a proprietary PSU so it doesnt have any pci-e cables, and i cant upgrade it.

Yeah the 1650 is probably one of your best bets, given you can't upgrade your PSU.
Though given the opportunity i would still highly suggest going down that route and getting a new PSU entirely.

24 minutes ago, yaop117 said:

Yeah the 1650 is probably one of your best bets, given you can't upgrade your PSU.
Though given the opportunity i would still highly suggest going down that route and getting a new PSU entirely.

Yeah, even if it's proprietary you can still make do as there are probably adapters sold somewhere for your components that will let them interface with a normal PSU. And if not you can put something together with a DMM and a soldering iron, done it before and made it look really clean.

1 hour ago, YoFavRussian said:

Yeah, even if it's proprietary you can still make do as there are probably adapters sold somewhere for your components that will let them interface with a normal PSU. And if not you can put something together with a DMM and a soldering iron, done it before and made it look really clean.

I'd be careful using adapters to power graphics cards, most of the time if a power supply doesn't come with a PCI-E plug, it means it probably doesn't have the power output to handle a graphics card. Always check your power ratings and don't overload your PSU. :)

Just now, yaop117 said:

I'd be careful using adapters to power graphics cards, most of the time if a power supply doesn't come with a PCI-E plug, it means it probably doesn't have the power output to handle a graphics card. Always check your power ratings and don't overload your PSU. :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, his power supply right now is proprietary, so like how some Dell PCs have proprietary connectors on the motherboard there are adapters for ATX to the proprietary ones.

I was NOT encouraging the use of one of those molex to PCI-E power adapters. I know how sketch those are on their own, let alone using them with a sketch PSU.

3 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, his power supply right now is proprietary, so like how some Dell PCs have proprietary connectors on the motherboard there are adapters for ATX to the proprietary ones.

I was NOT encouraging the use of one of those molex to PCI-E power adapters. I know how sketch those are on their own, let alone using them with a sketch PSU.

Ah, i see. yeah if that's the case then all is probably good... assuming the voltages are the same and the output is high enough.

1 minute ago, yaop117 said:

Ah, i see. yeah if that's the case then all is probably good... assuming the voltages are the same and the output is high enough.

That would be what the multi meter is for, and as for output, I think it's assumed that it would be a higher wattage PSU than the proprietary.

The 5500 xt is coming out soon, does it need a power connector? I would wait to see what performance the 5500 or 5500xt could offer.

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

1 minute ago, Benx said:

The 5500 xt is coming out soon, does it need a power connector? I would wait to see what performance the 5500 or 5500xt could offer.

Hard to say if it hasn't come out yet, curious about the performance as well.

I would guess that it will be, since it's probably trying to compete in the same market as the 1650.
I don't think their performance will be all that different from each other either. but i guess we will see.

18 hours ago, yaop117 said:

I actually have a 850w PSU that i havent been able to use for something, I would love to upgrade it and go for something like a 1070, but everything is propritary and it doesnt fit.

16 hours ago, yaop117 said:

I would guess that it will be, since it's probably trying to compete in the same market as the 1650.
I don't think their performance will be all that different from each other either. but i guess we will see.

Hopefully. I favor AMD anyways, although AMD cards to tend to take more power than there nVidia counterparts