Case selection and general comments

mediocremikey

Hey, I am a very new PC builder and looking to get some on opinions on the two cases I'm looking at. The first one is the NZXT h710 which is one I actually already bought, on sale even, but I'm now pretty concerned about the airflow of the case. I just discovered the cooler master H500M and man that is a beast of a case, and basically $100 more expensive, so should I keep my NZXT or go with the H500M? Or even just sell back the h710 and wait for a deal for the H500M?

(for those that are curious)

My current build is:

-Ryzen 3800x CPU

-Be quiet! dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler (haven't bought yet)

-Msi x570 gaming pro carbon motherboard

-Tridentz neo 3600 16gb RAM

-ROG strix NVIDIA 2070 super GPU (haven't bought yet)

-samsung 970 pro 1tb m.2 SSD

-seagate barracuda pro 6tb HDD

case tbd

(please feel free to give any helpful comments or tips about my build, again I am very new, so there is a high chance I'm messing something up)

If it's airflow you're after the Cooler Master H500m would be best. The front of the NZXT is pretty restrictive. 

You dont have to change it, since the H710's airflow situation can be "fixed" with a full set of fans. What you should change is the board and SSD.

The board's weak in power delivery (so bad that MSI has to roll out their Unify board, basically LED-less Ace, to replace the Carbon's original price point at $250-280). Asus TUF, Gigabyte Aorus Elite/Pro will be my recommendation, unless you've got something else in your mind

As for the SSD, it's not that fast (when PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 SSDs are already widely available in most markets), while so expensive that you might as well get different drives and swap them out more frequently just in case they die and take all their data with them (not like PCIe 4.0 x4 SSDs will die anytime soon, they are so expensive that inferior material are not found on them)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

22 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

You dont have to change it, since the H710's airflow situation can be "fixed" with a full set of fans. What you should change is the board and SSD.

The board's weak in power delivery (so bad that MSI has to roll out their Unify board, basically LED-less Ace, to replace the Carbon's original price point at $250-280). Asus TUF, Gigabyte Aorus Elite/Pro will be my recommendation, unless you've got something else in your mind

As for the SSD, it's not that fast (when PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 SSDs are already widely available in most markets), while so expensive that you might as well get different drives and swap them out more frequently just in case they die and take all their data with them (not like PCIe 4.0 x4 SSDs will die anytime soon, they are so expensive that inferior material are not found on them)

yea thank you, I still have time to return this motherboard and I didn't know the power was so weak, I actually didn't purchase this ssd, so there's no real way for me to swap it out.

Make the suggested changes and it is also good to know that you will only be gaming and game is not considered a heavy workload for storage devices, you can basically play in any storage device without any problem as long as the rest of the components allow gaming.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, mediocremikey said:

Hey, I am a very new PC builder and looking to get some on opinions on the two cases I'm looking at. The first one is the NZXT h710 which is one I actually already bought, on sale even, but I'm now pretty concerned about the airflow of the case. I just discovered the cooler master H500M and man that is a beast of a case, and basically $100 more expensive, so should I keep my NZXT or go with the H500M? Or even just sell back the h710 and wait for a deal for the H500M?

(for those that are curious)

My current build is:

-Ryzen 3800x CPU

-Be quiet! dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler (haven't bought yet)

-Msi x570 gaming pro carbon motherboard

-Tridentz neo 3600 16gb RAM

-ROG strix NVIDIA 2070 super GPU (haven't bought yet)

-samsung 970 pro 1tb m.2 SSD

-seagate barracuda pro 6tb HDD

case tbd

(please feel free to give any helpful comments or tips about my build, again I am very new, so there is a high chance I'm messing something up)

Just bought the h710. Great case. Top 25% in airflow as stated from tech Jesus (gamer nexus).

I wouldnt worry about temps at that Level. If you do you can go with something else of course. But my humble opinion is that at that level of performance, functionality and aesthetics are more important than a few degrees.

If we are walking about the h510 or h510elite i get it, those seems bad to the point you cant justify them if you Care even a little by performance. But the h710 is good.

On another point... what do you think of the h710 size? I Like it but its kinda massive, isnt it?