DisplayPort 2.0

Venson

Hey,

Does anyone knows when the first graphic cards with support for DisplayPort2.0 will be released?

I am seriously want to upgrade (and due to its for my job) money is not that much of a concern. 

My dream configuration would be 3x4k with highst refresh rate as possible but for now that would cost just too much

An acceptable monitor 4k&144ht would be the ROG Swift PG27UQ) with a whopping 6.000€ plus a card to drive everything (if one card is even enough).

with the upcomming DP20 promises of 3 monitors with 90hz refresh rate i would like to wait but i have no idea if anything is planned or announced when a g-card will be released.

I can wait for the montiors to be available, but my current card (GTX980TI) needs to be replaced as it is soon needed elsewhere.

Does anyone got some information when a card with support for DP2.0 will be released?

First products incorporating DP 2.0 are projected to appear on the market by late 2020.

sadly that won't be for a while but i think you can do what you want with DP 1.4 which supports 4K 144hz

not sure what you mean about 3 90hz monitors though

https://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-publishes-displayport-2-0-video-standard-enabling-support-for-beyond-8k-resolutions-higher-refresh-rates-for-4k-hdr-and-virtual-reality-applications/

Display port versions are more of a monitor and cable support type thing not really GPU, a GPU will push the max resolution and refresh rate it can no matter what type of cable. The real limitation is the monitor and cable not the GPU. When DP 2.0 comes out you will need a DP 2.0 compatible cable and monitor. Any modern higher end GPU should work.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, General Winter said:

sadly that won't be for a while but i think you can do what you want with DP 1.4 which supports 4K 144hz

not sure what you mean about 3 90hz monitors though

https://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-publishes-displayport-2-0-video-standard-enabling-support-for-beyond-8k-resolutions-higher-refresh-rates-for-4k-hdr-and-virtual-reality-applications/

Lower in the Document from Vesa it states:

DP 2.0 Configuration Examples

Triple display resolutions

• Three 10K (10240×4320) displays @60Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
  • Three 4K (3840×2160) displays @90Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (no compression)

But what kind of Grafics-card would i need. I talked to one of my Colleges and he said that even using one 4k monitor with high refresh rate would surp the most out of even one mondern card and that i should no even think about running 3x4k displays from one single card. As Vesa stated (and i interpreted that correctly) the new DP2.0 specification states that i could run 3x4k(90hz) even from 1 port. That would be utterly insane.

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Display port versions are more of a monitor and cable support type thing not really GPU, a GPU will push the max resolution and refresh rate it can no matter what type of cable. The real limitation is the monitor and cable not the GPU. When DP 2.0 comes out you will need a DP 2.0 compatible cable and monitor. Any modern higher end GPU should work.

But should the card not be compattable with the used cable? What if dp2.0 uses USB-C as main port design? surly the GPU does not care, but the ports on the card. Are DP1.4 and DP2.0 ports are compatible?

1 minute ago, Venson said:

But should the card not be compattable with the used cable? What if dp2.0 uses USB-C as main port design? surly the GPU does not care, but the ports on the card. Are DP1.4 and DP2.0 ports are compatible?

A GPU will have one to three Display Ports on it, they aren't a specific Display Port type. They are just Display Port, as I stated above the way it works is the Cable and Monitor are what are the limiting factors. For example a 2080ti can push 4K up to however many FPS it can output at 4K, if you have a monitor that is 4K 60hz it will only go to 4K 60hz even though the 2080ti is outputting 200+fps. So then you use a 4K monitor that supports 120hz you can set it to 120hz with a compatible cable. If you have a 120hz monitor and only a 60hz cable then you can only get 60hz even on the 120hz monitor. Say you want to do 4K 144hz, as long as the Monitor and Cable support 4K 144hz and you have a GPU capable of outputting over 144fps at 4K resolutions then it will work smoothly. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

22 minutes ago, Venson said:

Lower in the Document from Vesa it states:

But what kind of Grafics-card would i need. I talked to one of my Colleges and he said that even using one 4k monitor with high refresh rate would surp the most out of even one mondern card and that i should no even think about running 3x4k displays from one single card. As Vesa stated (and i interpreted that correctly) the new DP2.0 specification states that i could run 3x4k(90hz) even from 1 port. That would be utterly insane.

10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

A GPU will have one to three Display Ports on it, they aren't a specific Display Port type. They are just Display Port, as I stated above the way it works is the Cable and Monitor are what are the limiting factors. .

like spook said, most modern gpu cards will have 1-3 DP ports and they aren't the bottleneck; what that's talking about is connecting multiple displays through 1 DP 2.0 cable (which is useful for laptops and other physically limited devices which isn't your case )

you're not going to be running 3 4K monitors at 90hz for gaming anyhow; but whatever your use case you just need to make sure your cables are capable of the resolution and refresh rate you want and the according monitors and your GPU will display accordingly

2 minutes ago, General Winter said:

like spook said, most modern gpu cards will have 1-3 DP ports and they aren't the bottleneck; what that's talking about is connecting multiple displays through 1 DP 2.0 cable (which is useful for laptops and other physically limited devices which isn't your case )

you're not going to be running 3 4K monitors at 90hz for gaming anyhow; but whatever your use case you just need to make sure your cables are capable of the resolution and refresh rate you want and the according monitors and your GPU will display accordingly

18 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

A GPU will have one to three Display Ports on it, they aren't a specific Display Port type. They are just Display Port, as I stated above the way it works is the Cable and Monitor are what are the limiting factors. For example a 2080ti can push 4K up to however many FPS it can output at 4K, if you have a monitor that is 4K 60hz it will only go to 4K 60hz even though the 2080ti is outputting 200+fps. So then you use a 4K monitor that supports 120hz you can set it to 120hz with a compatible cable. If you have a 120hz monitor and only a 60hz cable then you can only get 60hz even on the 120hz monitor. Say you want to do 4K 144hz, as long as the Monitor and Cable support 4K 144hz and you have a GPU capable of outputting over 144fps at 4K resolutions then it will work smoothly. 

Thank you both for the clarification. Yes gaming is not my case. I will check the current graphic cards for one that suites my need. 

Thank you :-). 

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:24 AM, SpookyCitrus said:

i can concur to this though. When i bought my graphics card in 2016, it just states DisplayPort. But now (2020), when i see the specs from Asus site, it shows DisplayPort 1.4. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

That's NOT true. THE GPU DETERMINES THE VERSION OF DISPLAYPORT. The GPU must have first the DP 2.0 before other devices with full support can be made available. On Nvidia side, Maxwell had DP 1.2. Pascal and Turing came with DP 1.4. How do I know? Nvidia website lists all specs for each GPU. I dont know where you get your GPU since you said they dont have DP specifications. Cables and monitors/tv supporting DP 2.0 will NOT be available until the GPU with DP 2.0 output are available. It took long for DP 1.4 monitors and cable to become available after Pascal was launched. The same applies to AMD GPU.

Open Full specs for each of the following link:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/10-series/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/#specs

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gtx-1660-ti/