Interesting problem with computers ability to boot.

cookie262

Hi,

I've recently been having trouble with my computers ability to boot.

The problem started when I powered down my one night and later went turn it back on and found it wouldn't boot without fan spin suggesting a PSU issue.

I gave up and went to bed but the next day I turned my pc on and it booted up immediately without any problems what so ever for around 4 hours. the computer ran perfectly fine without any hiccups then started getting some various blue screen errors.

Now to power on the computer I need to flick the power supply switch off and on then the pc will spring to life after 5-10 tries without having to hit the button and runs without any issues once booted now without any bsod.

I took the PSU into the shop I purchased it from only for them to tell me they PSU isnt having any problems with a quick test.

I've checked the cables and such and can't see any issues.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, cookie262 said:

I took the PSU into the shop I purchased it from only for them to tell me they PSU isnt having any problems

so the shop that would have to fix or replace it says there nothing wrong with it....

In any case it sounds like a power supply issue. 

One free thing you can try is booting with only one ram stick installed , try each stick alone in the machine. See if it AT ALL changes how reliable the machine starts up

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

so the shop that would have to fix or replace it says there nothing wrong with it....

In any case it sounds like a power supply issue. 

One free thing you can try is booting with only one ram stick installed , try each stick alone in the machine. See if it AT ALL changes how reliable the machine starts up

Hi, I forgot to mention. I've tried the ram sticks and it didn't change anything. Its pretty random how many flicks of the psu switch it takes to power up so its hard to gauge.

Thanks for replying

2 minutes ago, cookie262 said:

Hi, I forgot to mention. I've tried the ram sticks and it didn't change anything. Its pretty random how many flicks of the psu switch it takes to power up so its hard to gauge.

Thanks for replying

well if your machine is low end enough for it , you can try another power supply from another machine , some 300w anything power supply should be enough to at least see the machine starting up reliably over and over.

What exactly are your specs (especially your PSU)?

Despite what the shop says, it really sounds like a PSU issue. However, have you tried plugging in your PSU to a separate wall outlet? Have you tried your computer in a different room on a different circuit? If anything, you can use one of these to test your PSU: https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Supply-Tester-PCI/dp/B005UZHB6G

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

well if your machine is low end enough for it , you can try another power supply from another machine , some 300w anything power supply should be enough to at least see the machine starting up reliably over and over.

unfortunately unable to access a different PSU without purchasing a new one.

Specs are:

EVGA RTX 2060

i7 8700k @ 4.7ghz

Gigabyte Z370-HD3-CF

2 minutes ago, cookie262 said:

unfortunately unable to access a different PSU without purchasing a new one.

Specs are:

EVGA RTX 2060

i7 8700k @ 4.7ghz

Gigabyte Z370-HD3-CF

And what PSU?

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

What exactly are your specs (especially your PSU)?

Despite what the shop says, it really sounds like a PSU issue. However, have you tried plugging in your PSU to a separate wall outlet? Have you tried your computer in a different room on a different circuit? If anything, you can use one of these to test your PSU: https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Supply-Tester-PCI/dp/B005UZHB6G

I I believe the shop used one of those to test it.

The PSU is only a few months old and its a CM MWE650 Gold

1 minute ago, cookie262 said:

That's a decent PSU. Have you tried my other suggestions? Perhaps something is triggering an overload circuit, try removing all overclocks.

5 minutes ago, cookie262 said:

Try running the program Bluescreen View, it will tell you the exact error that is causing the blue screen and give us a better idea.

That's a good unit it's possible it's going out but your issue could also be Ram related, I would suggest taking one of the Ram modules out if you have two and see if it still has issues, if it does take that module out and put the other back in and test again. If it still has the issue with either of the two installed then you will know it lies elsewhere in the system. Running memtest is also a good way to see if it is the Ram causing the issue.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |