Linux virtual machine or dual-boot

Go to solution Solved by Nettly_,

Virtual Machines save lives

-Me

I would like to get comfortable with Linux so I'm going to install Ubuntu, but I'm between making a partition for it or just using a virtual machine, I'm not going to do anything heavy on it since I will mainly learn about databases / servers.

Any suggestions? :)

if you use a virtual machine it will be overall slower. might make you lose your hair faster if you plan on constantly using it

Virtual, easier to back out of w/ less risk to your primary setup if you decide its not for you.

10 hours ago, Fredrik Svantesson said:

Yeah check out virtualbox. You actually gain very little from a Linux dualboot if you have a modern mid-range setup.

You also gain I/O overhead for disk access and network access, less overall system memory and the over head of running TWO operating systems instead of one.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I tried out the VM but it looks a bit weird when I move the windows around or scroll a webpage... its jumping frames, writing also has a bit of input lag but it's bearable.

I'm going to try the bootable version just for the sake of it since I already have the ISO to see how it feels like