CPU TEMP SPIKE

Hey everyone, 

I'm having an issue that someone else just posted on here as well though with different hardware. My CPU's temp started spiking while idle about 2 weeks ago and it's gotten progressively worse. I've done everything I possibly could to troubleshot but alas nothing has worked. 

Specs:

Intel i7 6700K

Corsair H100i GTX

Asus z170-A

GTX 970

Gskill Ripjaws V series 16Gb 3200 (2x8)

Corsair RM650 Gold modular

Samsung 750 EVO SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

NZXT Phantom 530 Case

3440x1440 Ultrawide LG Monitor

Things I've done:

-dust and clean everything

-reapply thermal paste and reseat cooler

-clean install of windows 10

-revert to previous build of windows 10 

-set max voltage to 1.350

At this point I don't know what to do and even the simplest of tasks such as opening a chrome browser causes the temps to spike 80+. I used to be able to run overwatch at high settings and now i can barely run it at medium without the cpu hitting 100 degrees.

Someone said my cpu is a dead boi? is this true? 

If this is the case then I don't really have the money to buy something completely new but would it be worth upgrading the cpu, mobo, and aio to :

mis MPG x570 gaming edge wifi mobo

amd ryzen 3700x

noctua d15

All help appreciated.

P.S. If upgraded those parts would my gpu bottleneck the system?

I do some gaming  along with photoshop and lightroom use. 

Try the CPU at stock speed and reduce the voltage to 1.20 V and check your temps again.

7 hours ago, Phas3r said:

Try the CPU at stock speed and reduce the voltage to 1.20 V and check your temps again.

Sorry it was so late last night I forgot to elaborate on this. The cpu is on stock speed. I tried messing with the voltage based on a video I saw about someone having similar issues going from 1.2-1.350 and still nothing.

What rpm are the fans and pump running at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm are the fans and pump running at?

I use the icue software from Corsair and had to set the pump and fans to run at extreme to keep the system from going overboard. If I remember correctly I think I saw 2240 rpm and you could definitely hear them running, something that I didn’t hear much before. 

4 minutes ago, Ctoretto93 said:

I use the icue software from Corsair and had to set the pump and fans to run at extreme to keep the system from going overboard. If I remember correctly I think I saw 2240 rpm and you could definitely hear them running, something that I didn’t hear much before. 

Is that for the fans or pump? Can you feel the liquid moving when touching the tubing?

The fans go up to 2435rpm so that's fairly high for the fans but the pump goes up to 2800rpm

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is that for the fans or pump? Can you feel the liquid moving when touching the tubing?

The fans go up to 2435rpm so that's fairly high for the fans but the pump goes up to 2800rpm

Right now doing an install of ms office it’s at 2100 for fan and 2760 for pump. 

Attached an image of me just opening chrome which is the spike on the graph. 
fans are on an loud as hell 

1CFF97F9-F464-42CE-92EC-254A6822B6B4.jpeg

Put the air cooler back on and see if it helps. Your pump may be going. And compare the tdie value from hardware info. You may have to make sure the Corsair service is stopped to get hwinfo to start.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyDiggs said:

Put the air cooler back on and see if it helps. Your pump may be going. And compare the tdie value from hardware info. You may have to make sure the Corsair service is stopped to get hwinfo to start.

Unfortunately no stock air cooler came with the cpu. Idk if I would even want to start spending money buying new parts just to figure out the issue...

The cpu hasn't been delidded, right? 

When you touch the tubing, can you feel the liquid moving?

@JohnnyDiggs You can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged. 

The cpu hasn't been delidded, right? 

When you touch the tubing, can you feel the liquid moving?

@JohnnyDiggs You can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making multiple posts -- posts merged. 

Nope cpu hasn't been touched at all except for placing it in the mobo and reapplying thermal paste. No delidding. 

Just touched it right now and i can feel water running through both tubes. I wouldn't know what to compare it to though to see if what I feel is adequate. 

19 minutes ago, Ctoretto93 said:

AIO is 3 years old like the rest of the build so I doubt it would still be under warranty. 

Warranty is 5 years. If you really don't have another cooler to test, you can just try contacting them for a replacement. 

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Warranty is 5 years. If you really don't have another cooler to test, you can just try contacting them for a replacement. 

Thanks for the info. I just got my RMA approved so I’ll be sending them back the cooler. Let’s see how it goes ...