Inwin 101 Case CPU cooler

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
35 minutes ago, Allmightyballs said:

I think Im almost sold on the Noctua NH US12 but Im not sure it will fit. Says its 158mm Tall and my case is 160mm. I also think Im looking at chart wrong on InWin's website because a lot of the coolers Ive looked at I thought would either be very close to the glass side panel or not let it close but come to find out I was wrong about all. Knowing my luck Ill get the Noctua and it wont fit. 

Is there anyway I can for sure figure how to measure the dimensions inside my case or check if parts will match? I took the Noctua CPU cooler & my case on PC part picker and it said it there was no problem with fitment but other than that not sure the best way to check

The NH-U12S fits and is a great cooler but overkill. Why are you sold on it?

The cooler being close to the side panel is fine. A cooler listed at 160mm tall should fit in a case that lists 160mm of clearance for the cooler. A time when checking with other examples for height is important is when the spec isn't trustworthy for some reason or you're trying to fit a cooler that's taller than the clearance specified. There's sometimes substantially more clearance available than listed. 

Looking for recommendations for an air cooler that will fit in my InWin 101 case.

The case allows for 160mm of space but after measuring it looks like it will be just a tad bit to tall for a hyper 212. The Hyper 212 is 6.3 inches and case space says 6.2 but I have seen the H212 installed on the case before but none with the glass panel closed.

Mostly I see people using AIO's which Im a bit uncomfortable going with at the current moment but all suggestions are welcomed. 

The Hyper 212 fits fine. Here's an example of it with the side panel closed: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/H6yXsY

What cpu and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@Genwyn Ive looked at the Deep cool blue one you mentioned, in fact I think the one I was going to get was the red version but amazon answered questioned said it wouldn't fit as it was a bit bigger than the 212. Id like to go with something different than the 212 but wasn't sure what clearance options I would have. When I measured with a ruler & clothes tape thing. I have around 6.2 inches before it would hit the glass. Ill check the Bequiet out. Ive been coasting off Amazon revues & measurements to save time over watching tons of YT videos on specific coolers that end up being to tall.

@WoodenMarker Whoa, thanks for finding that. I searched goggle but no images popped up other than cases with AIOs. I only found one that was the same case with h212 in it but the panel wasn't closed. Posted pics of case & specs. Honestly Id prefer best bang for buck, something fairly cheap without skimping on reliability/performance but if it was worth it I could go a little extra. I have to pick up 5-6 fans at the same time. long story behind the PC but short version, I got it from Walmart for $200 but all the stock fans were leaking fluid and the good ones were taken out before I picked it up and Im still going over everything to make sure other things like the power supply isn't jacked up too. The CPU fan started leaking just the other day so I cant put off buying both

cyberpower data sheet.png

20190912_140312.jpg

20190912_140335.jpg

13 hours ago, Allmightyballs said:

Honestly Id prefer best bang for buck, something fairly cheap without skimping on reliability/performance but if it was worth it I could go a little extra. I have to pick up 5-6 fans at the same time. long story behind the PC but short version, I got it from Walmart for $200 but all the stock fans were leaking fluid and the good ones were taken out before I picked it up and Im still going over everything to make sure other things like the power supply isn't jacked up too. The CPU fan started leaking just the other day so I cant put off buying both

The oil shouldn't cause any harm. There may have just been too much oil added from the factory. I'd replace them if they start slowing down or developing noises. Have you tried contacting Walmart for fan replacements?

I'd also flip the side fan near the front to intake as opposed to exhaust. 

It's not a bad idea to replace the cpu cooler if you want a quieter system though. 

Which country are you shopping from? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker The exhaust rgb fan does make noise on occasion but the stock cooler just recently started throwing drops of oil/liquid on my graphics card which is the same thing that made me replace the front fan. Front fan was making the same noise as the back fan does while slowing down, vibrating & heavy leaking fluid. I thought it would be best to go ahead and just replace them all to be on the safe side.

Your correct I noticed I installed it backwards it was supposed to be an intake fan

When it comes to Walmart, basically they had screwed me, knew they did and after I called Corp it finally got to the regional VP who made them sell it as they had promised. I went to pick it up and they had removed the bottom row of fans, kept the mouse & pad, keyboard, and 1 of the Raidmax fans. Long story short they had already pulled it from the shelf took parts out of it and told me it was no warranty, as is sale(being floor model) and be happy and leave it alone since the cost was 200 instead of the 599, given the parts in it during a bad pricing time I said ok. Im going to do an entire write up about the event for others.

In the US. I would like to go ahead an replace the CPU cooler for the long run & how I tend to use the PC for long periods of time under load(games, recording, edit software ect). Ive found a 5 pack of deepcool single connection fans on Amazon for $34 and after watching some videos last night I may got with a Noctua cooler instead of the hyper 212, it seemed smaller & quieter but haven't price or spec checked yet

14 hours ago, Allmightyballs said:

In the US. I would like to go ahead an replace the CPU cooler for the long run & how I tend to use the PC for long periods of time under load(games, recording, edit software ect). Ive found a 5 pack of deepcool single connection fans on Amazon for $34 and after watching some videos last night I may got with a Noctua cooler instead of the hyper 212, it seemed smaller & quieter but haven't price or spec checked yet

The Deepcool RF fans are decent if you want the rgb look. 

Cooling an 8700 is pretty easy to cool so you don't need anything particularly expensive. If you like the look of the fans, a Gammaxx GT would match pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GT-BK-Motherboard-Supported/dp/B074P3JCXX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=deepcool+gt&qid=1568620096&s=electronics&sr=1-1

If you'd prefer to save some money instead, you could get a

Gammaxx 400: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

and a pair of NF-P12's for the case fans: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

@WoodenMarker The 1st one you linked was one I was looking at after passing on the 212. I think Im almost sold on the Noctua NH US12 but Im not sure it will fit. Says its 158mm Tall and my case is 160mm. I also think Im looking at chart wrong on InWin's website because a lot of the coolers Ive looked at I thought would either be very close to the glass side panel or not let it close but come to find out I was wrong about all. Knowing my luck Ill get the Noctua and it wont fit. 

Is there anyway I can for sure figure how to measure the dimensions inside my case or check if parts will match? I took the Noctua CPU cooler & my case on PC part picker and it said it there was no problem with fitment but other than that not sure the best way to check

35 minutes ago, Allmightyballs said:

I think Im almost sold on the Noctua NH US12 but Im not sure it will fit. Says its 158mm Tall and my case is 160mm. I also think Im looking at chart wrong on InWin's website because a lot of the coolers Ive looked at I thought would either be very close to the glass side panel or not let it close but come to find out I was wrong about all. Knowing my luck Ill get the Noctua and it wont fit. 

The NH-U12S fits and is a great cooler but overkill. Why are you sold on it?

The cooler being close to the side panel is fine. A cooler listed at 160mm tall should fit in a case that lists 160mm of clearance for the cooler. A time when checking with other examples for height is important is when the spec isn't trustworthy for some reason or you're trying to fit a cooler that's taller than the clearance specified. There's sometimes substantially more clearance available than listed. 

@WoodenMarker  I trust and have heard more about the brand itself and this particular fan is getting great reviews of matching/ beating AIO temps and extremely quiet. It also comes with very easy install process compared to others & has a 6 year warranty. Reliability and being quiet are my top 2 priorities as when I game and do videos it can run for 12+ hours with multiple things running. My tower also sits next to my monitor and microphone currently. Im working on fixing this, though I do have a wood floor I live in an old dusty house which has already shown how much the fans will suck up(and I don't have the 5 pack yet). If I put it on the floor Im worried it'll become a magnet for all the dust & pet fur that gets picked up on my daily sweeping.

I maybe just looking at things wrong out of haste but I had a feeling the noctua wouldn't disappoint in the long run where others might. With that said, I would prefer save the money going with something cheaper but if Im spending 40 on something Im kind of "meh" about, it seems logical to spend an extra 20 on something that gives a lot more confidence. 

This would be the first time doing anything DIY on it and I don't have other plans for this set up anywhere in the future. I feel I should do a set it & forget it type approach.

2 minutes ago, Allmightyballs said:

I trust and have heard more about the brand itself and this particular fan is getting great reviews of matching/ beating AIO temps and extremely quiet. It also comes with very easy install process compared to others & has a 6 year warranty. Reliability and being quiet are my top 2 priorities as when I game and do videos it can run for 12+ hours with multiple things running. My tower also sits next to my monitor and microphone currently. Im working on fixing this, though I do have a wood floor I live in an old dusty house which has already shown how much the fans will suck up(and I don't have the 5 pack yet). If I put it on the floor Im worried it'll become a magnet for all the dust & pet fur that gets picked up on my daily sweeping.

I maybe just looking at things wrong out of haste but I had a feeling the noctua wouldn't disappoint in the long run where others might.

You'll probably have a quieter system if you don't use the 5 pack and get better fans instead. 

The Gammaxx 400 is already overkill for the 8700 and can run at fairly low rpm. If it's still not quiet enough, you can get an additional Noctua fan later to replace the fan on it. 

If you want to emphasis on quiet cooling, the Macho Direct isn't as easy to install as the NH-U12S but it would probably be quieter. It may be able to run semi-passively and just rely on the case fan cooling while still keeping temps in check. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TsL7YJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machodirect

The NH-U12S is hard to go wrong with if you're wanting to be covered in the long run in regards to new sockets and such. 

@WoodenMarker I started to think about that after I posted it and Im now looking at 3 packs but more at 2 Corsair magnet fans. Im not huge on RGB stuff.  The reason for the 5 pack was to replace & take up the current fans so it would look more complete plus price per unit. Since Im probably going to over spend on my CPU cooler I can save $$$ elsewhere.

Ive been researching all items posted and watching comparison videos. I didn't think I would need all those fans just to keep it cool and I don't plan on doing tests & overclocking. Im looking at it as the way I do my cars, spend a little more on the better oil & quality parts, car lasts longer/less likely to have issues over time.

I really appreciate the info & food for thought on the topic. It definitely helped cover things I wasn't thinking of at the moment which can save up to $60 which can go along way.

Im still pretty sold on the noctua for various reasons, mainly ease of install but Ive got a playlist full of videos Im watching while reading on forums to see what others have done given my case, cpu & intended use.

Im probably still overthinking it to much, theres just so many choices.

3 hours ago, Allmightyballs said:

Im probably still overthinking it to much, theres just so many choices.

If you want it simplified, you can get a pair of NF-P12's and a NH-U12S to replace the current fans and cooler. 

@WoodenMarker I would completely agree. I think ive watched to many videos where every fan slot was taken up by RGB and somehow got it in my head that's just the way. I think that's most likely the way Ill go.

Im doing temp tests tonight while I game & record so once parts arrive I can do a comparison. I have the biggest feeling Ill see a big difference but overall find wanting 5-6 fans and other coolers would have been to cluttered, not needed and more bright than preferred.

You've been extremely helpful and I beyond really appreciate it! Owe you big time