FCPX looks the best dontcha thing?

Don't you think FCPX LOOKS the best? 

I am just getting started with video editing and have downloaded trial versions of FCPX and Sony Vegas, and FCPX looks SO damn nice.

It's a huge dilemma for me because not only does FCPX look SO muuch nicer and that to me is VERY important as I will be editing videos everyday, but also right now I have my PC as seen in my sig (minus the GPU which died so I am using a 8800 GTS - I know ancient), but also I have a Macbook air from mid 2012 which defo is not powerful enough to edit videos errday from.

I also LOVE the magnetic timeline having tried it for a bit today. I am JUST getting started so it's not like my 45 mins in Final Cut Pro X today were spent all analyzing the magnetic timeline. I couldn't even import straight away so I had to watch a YouTube video and found out you have to create a 'Library' first and only then can you import.

In Vegas it was so straightforward.

Then when you want to edit in FCPX you have to create a thing called a 'Project' to do so.

With Vegas you just start straight away.

A new Macbook Pro 15 inch with upgrades would cost £4,700 (I am from the UK) + new display £800 lets say.

Would rather go mobile with an Apple product as here is the situation.

If I go FCPX, then I won't build a new PC and will buy a Macbook Pro to edit and do everything from. A laptop because no Apple product can game so it makes no sense for me to get the iMac Pro when I have the HUGE advantage of the Macbook being a mobile device so I can edit and work from anywhere I travel.

For gaming I would get a PS4 than a PS5 when that comes out.

If I go the Sony Vegas route, I would build a new PC which would defo not be as reliable as buying a premade Apple product, and use that to game as well. I REALLY want to game but I can't anymore since my GPU died. Me cry.

I have a PS3 but that has no decent games for it. It's ancient now.

New PC would cost around £3,800 + new display £800 let's say.

Also I have grown up using Windows so theres that.

Ahhh the dilema.

I love all good people.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

You could continue testing out the trial version for a while to see if you like it. I can say that Final Cut Pro X was extremely easy for me to start using compared to Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve etc... Like I literally spent hours trying to edit some simple videos in the other programs and got very frustrated, then when I tried out Final Cut Pro X, it took maybe 15 mins for me to get the hang of everything and it just worked much better and made more sense, but that is just my opinion.

You might also be surprised at the editing experience on that old MacBook you have, it might not be as bad as you think as Final Cut Pro X and macOS work very well together and are heavily optimized.

You could also run macOS on your PC if you wanted to (Hackintosh) but keep in mind that it can be difficult and frustrating to do that and AFAIK it is illegal to run macOS on non-Apple hardware.

If you decide that you like Final Cut Pro X, and you want to purchase a new MacBook Pro, I would wait until the new 16" models come out, unless you need one right now.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

3 hours ago, Husky said:

You could continue testing out the trial version for a while to see if you like it. I can say that Final Cut Pro X was extremely easy for me to start using compared to Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve etc... Like I literally spent hours trying to edit some simple videos in the other programs and got very frustrated, then when I tried out Final Cut Pro X, it took maybe 15 mins for me to get the hang of everything and it just worked much better and made more sense, but that is just my opinion.

This seems to be the general consensus that FCPX is easy to use. Heck even female teens use it to make videos for YouTube. Can't imagine them being able to use the other programs.

You might also be surprised at the editing experience on that old MacBook you have, it might not be as bad as you think as Final Cut Pro X and macOS work very well together and are heavily optimized.

Yes one of the benefits of the MAC + FCPX config. Will give it a try, but the issue is there is only so much I can learn in 30 days which likely will mean I won't be able to REALLY get a feel for each of the softwares.

You could also run macOS on your PC if you wanted to (Hackintosh) but keep in mind that it can be difficult and frustrating to do that and AFAIK it is illegal to run macOS on non-Apple hardware.

No way. Very unreliable and very few components work in that config.

If you decide that you like Final Cut Pro X, and you want to purchase a new MacBook Pro, I would wait until the new 16" models come out, unless you need one right now.

I didn't know about this. Any ideas when this will be released here in the UK?

Is the iMac Pro base model a lot more powerful than the Macbook Pro?

I see you have both a Macbook and a Windows PC.

How are you managing external hard drives? I installed Paragon NTFS on my macbook but while it works, I am not sure I would fully trust it for daily work that I make an income from.

As far as I am aware there is no format you can format a 10TB drive to that will work with both Mac OS and Windows?

Thank you.

EDIT: This just happened. I had Vegas running in the background and wasn't using it. I was using it earlier then I left my room so I put my PC to sleep. Came back hours later and just shortly after replying to you this happened (still wasn't using Vegas but it was open in the background with videos loaded into it):

2019-09-08 21_08_38-Problem Report.jpg

I only recently (yesterday) installed the old 8800 GTS and installed the drivers and GeForce Experienced for it. If that could potentially be the cause.

I also only yesterday installed Vegas (I needed the 8800 GTS in order for Vegas to work, and it still doesn't work if I try to edit as the CPU isn't powerful enough which is crazy as my macbook is as old but it works with FCPX).

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

9 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

This seems to be the general consensus that FCPX is easy to use. Heck even female teens use it to make videos for YouTube. Can't imagine them being able to use the other programs.

Yes one of the benefits of the MAC + FCPX config. Will give it a try, but the issue is there is only so much I can learn in 30 days which likely will mean I won't be able to REALLY get a feel for each of the softwares.

No way. Very unreliable and very few components work in that config.

I didn't know about this. Any ideas when this will be released here in the UK?

Is the iMac Pro base model a lot more powerful than the Macbook Pro?

I see you have both a Macbook and a Windows PC.

How are you managing external hard drives? I installed Paragon NTFS on my macbook but while it works, I am not sure I would fully trust it for daily work that I make an income from.

As far as I am aware there is no format you can format a 10TB drive to that will work with both Mac OS and Windows?

Thank you.

EDIT: This just happened. I had Vegas running in the background and wasn't using it. I was using it earlier then I left my room so I put my PC to sleep. Came back hours later and just shortly after replying to you this happened (still wasn't using Vegas but it was open in the background with videos loaded into it):

2019-09-08 21_08_38-Problem Report.jpg

I only recently (yesterday) installed the old 8800 GTS and installed the drivers and GeForce Experienced for it. If that could potentially be the cause.

I also only yesterday installed Vegas (I needed the 8800 GTS in order for Vegas to work, and it still doesn't work if I try to edit as the CPU isn't powerful enough which is crazy as my macbook is as old but it works with FCPX).

About the 30 day trial thing, there is a trick to reset it back to 30 days by deleting a file in ~/Library/Application Support/ called ".ffuserdata" (you need to show hidden files in Finder with Cmd+Shift+. This allows you to continue testing it.

In terms of managing external drives, I don't often transfer files between my Windows and Mac machines. If I really have to use an external drive for that then I format it as exFAT which both Windows and macOS will read/write to but I don't like this method since exFAT isn't the best file system. I normally just use my file server to transfer files between the 2. I would highly recommend formatting your external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you are going to use it for stuff like video editing on a Mac due to performance and reliability reasons. If you need to transfer files I would do it over the network and if you need to store files on an external drive from both your Windows and Mac machines then consider partitioning it into an NTFS and Mac OS Extended partitions. Paragon NTFS works reasonably well, but I would never use it for any performance or reliability critical work.

I am not sure when the new MacBook Pros are coming out, might be the Apple Special Event coming up in a few days. I would get a MacBook Pro if you would appreciate portability rather than an iMac Pro. I just think that Mac laptops are a lot more useful than their desktops because of their portability.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

17 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

New PC would cost around £3,800

in what world do you pay 3800£ for a top of the line PC?

you get top consumer specs for 2000£..................

I would build a new PC which would defo not be as reliable as buying a premade Apple product, and use that to game as well

depends on which macbook. self built PC are rather reliable. offcourse there is the chance of user error. 

It's a huge dilemma for me because not only does FCPX look SO muuch nicer and that to me is VERY important as I will be editing videos everyday

you should probably look at getting somethign else than a laptop if you will be doing it every day. depends on the size of the projects tho. 

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

in what world do you pay 3800£ for a top of the line PC?

you get top consumer specs for 2000£..................

3700X, 2080 Super EVGA, 32GB 3600Mhz RAM B die, £300 case, £80 fan controller, Dark bequiet cooler, £250 mobo, 512GB NVME, £180 PSU, etc etc.

depends on which macbook. self built PC are rather reliable. offcourse there is the chance of user error. 

I got 2 faulty HAF X's and each time I built in them and my builds take forever (days, as I am very careful with cable management) back in 2012 so Coolermaster said pick any case you want to replace it with. 
I chose the Stormtrooper that I still have (same build from 2012 as I never built a new one nor upgraded).

It had rattling but not this bad since day 1.
I complained but the guy made a suggestion (contact was via email), which was to check the HDD cage was secured, which obviously as I spend days building (part of the time consumption is making sure each screw is in perfectly), it was, and I really wanted to play Borderlands 2 and have the PC running, so I didn't bother following it up with him.

That small rattle became unbearable over the years. I tried for years to isolate the noise. No idea wtf is rattling. Here at the bottom of the page is a video I filmed of it (Crank up your volume): 

GPU that died recently is a Gigabyte Windforce 3x OC 7870. OMFG. This card is STUPID loud. Well was. 
Idling it sat at 40% which was STUPID loud. I had to set it to 20% for it to be quiet. Then when I wanted to game I would have to remember to open the AMD control panel again and set it to Auto again as it was originally. In game the fans were SO loud.

Then there are all the BSOD's, Gigabyte never released the CPU fan controlling software for my mobo which rendered me unable to play Fortnite as I started using Speedan which took weeks to learn how to use and calibrate, but Fortnites anti cheat thing thinks its a cheating tool and wont run the game. Without speedfan my CPU would overheat in game so that was a no go.

Reinstalling the OS is a MAJOR deal. It is VERY time consuming to try to remember every little thing you need to backup before a reinstall. Facebook purity settings, game saves, software settings, bookmarks etc etc etc.

I spent £204 on the GPU back in 2012. Which isn't that much but it's not cheap either. Nor was the case cheap. Point being is you say I don't have to build and expensive PC, but even at those price points the components were inferior. 
There is nothing to be done differently as you put it. All the sound issues I have had to endure are manufacturing/design errors.

I read even the 2080 GPU is loud. Thats a top tier GPU.

I also read that a 2070 Super will only JUST run AAA titles at 1440p and to run 4k I need a 2080 at least. That is a £1,000 GPU. The PS4 Pro can game at 4k and costs only £350. The price of a Ryzen 3700k. One component inside a pc. ONE. 

There is no joy in building a PC when this is the long term result. Consoles are plug and play. However for the past few hours I have been researching into PS4 Pro noise and it turns out it is VERY noisy. So now I'm like WTF do I do. PS4 Pro is too noisy.....

Oh yeah, top fan on case has a ticking noise. They sent me a new fan - same issue. Front fans too loud. 

Nightmare to build and own a 'custom PC' and these are only SOME of the issues. Oh yeah fan controller died last year.

you should probably look at getting somethign else than a laptop if you will be doing it every day. depends on the size of the projects tho. 

Casey Neistat, Jim Chapman, Tanya Burr, Alfie Deyes, Zoella etc ALL use Macbook Pro's for daily videos. A Macbookis fine for YouTube 1080 or even 4k videos.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

31 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

3700X, 2080 Super EVGA, 32GB 3600Mhz RAM B die, £300 case, £80 fan controller, Dark bequiet cooler, £250 mobo, 512GB NVME, £180 PSU, etc etc.

There is a lot to be saved there. Like buy micron E-die instead. 

33 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Casey Neistat, Jim Chapman, Tanya Burr, Alfie Deyes, Zoella etc ALL use Macbook Pro's for daily videos. A Macbookis fine for YouTube 1080 or even 4k videos.

Hence, "depends on the size of the project". 

37 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

read even the 2080 GPU is loud. Thats a top tier GPU.

Depends on the model you get.

37 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

also read that a 2070 Super will only JUST run AAA titles at 1440p and to run 4k I need a 2080 at least. That is a £1,000 GPU. The PS4 Pro can game at 4k and costs only £350. The price of a Ryzen 3700k. One component inside a pc. ONE. 

Its worth noting setting used and framerate standard on PC. Aswell as the many titles. Aswell as how dumb of a resolution 4k is over 1440p.

Consoles are cheap tho, not gonna lie, but they are comparable to a 500$ PC (building with good components)

FCP X is an excellent editor, Premier is more powerful if you're gonna use After Effects and stuff, but also incredibly dark (their dark UI is like hard to read levels of dark) and just incredibly complicated. It can do more, but because of that it's incredibly cluttered, FCP X and the pretty similar Davinci Resolve are better if you don't need integration with the adobe suite. 

FCP X does also work incredibly well on even low spec Macs, on a top end MacBook Pro it's great. The base model iMac Pro is much more powerful than any MacBook Pro though, to answer that question. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Hence, "depends on the size of the project". 

^ Yeah, if you're doing something big then exporting is gonna take a while, for 1080p/smaller 4K projects it's fine. 

As for reliability... eeeh. 2016 and onwards MacBook Pros have very well proven issues with the keyboards, the T1 and T2 chips add more to break, and the touchbar adds yet more unneeded stuff to break (IIRC those have had issues as well). I used a maxed out mid-2015 15" (2.8Ghz i7, R9 M370X, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) back when I did simple editing part time, guy I worked for still uses it for all his stuff (he does 1080p videos for the company I work for, and freelance video work and drone comps and such for other people). Those are some of the most reliable Macs ever AFAIK, haven't heard of any massive issues plaguing them. I'd put them on par with the mid-2012s (like the one I'm using), just they rank lower on repairability. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch