Laptop Running Hotter After Bios Update

Last night Windows pushed through a BIOS update to my ASUS GL703GM. I have checked the ASUS site, and it is a legitimate BIOS version. Today though, after the update, my laptop is idling 10 degrees hotter, and I can now physically feel the heat coming through the top of the laptop when typing. Please help!

Perhaps they tweaked the fan profile? Are the fans spinning at all during idle now?

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Perhaps they tweaked the fan profile? Are the fans spinning at all during idle now?

Yes they are, more than they were.

Did you reset the BIOS after updating it? Also, do you have HW info installed to check voltages?

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Did you reset the BIOS after updating it? Also, do you have HW info installed to check voltages?

I did not reset the BIOS and if you are referring to Hardware Monitor, it is installing now.

Updating a BIOs via Windows is usually a bad idea. It's better to do it via the BIOS utility.

Anyhow, idles are irrelevant as many tging can cause it. Look at load temps using HWiNFO 64. HW Monitor is quite broken from what I've used.

43 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Updating a BIOs via Windows is usually a bad idea. It's better to do it via the BIOS utility.

Anyhow, idles are irrelevant as many tging can cause it. Look at load temps using HWiNFO 64. HW Monitor is quite broken from what I've used.

I didn't even know there WAS a BIOS update until after Windows had already performed it. ?

7 minutes ago, 無声影武者 said:

I didn't even know there WAS a BIOS update until after Windows had already performed it. ?

I don't even understand how windows update got right to perform that on your system. By default it's restricted to not touch the bios.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I don't even understand how windows update got right to perform that on your system. By default it's restricted to not touch the bios.

Apparently that's not the default anymore I guess.

5 minutes ago, 無声影武者 said:

Apparently that's not the default anymore I guess.

Yes it is. Your case is an odd outlier where windows was manually given permission to mess up bios settings on a locked bios.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Yes it is. Your case is an odd outlier where windows was manually given permission to mess up bios settings on a locked bios.

According to a quick google search it's not just my machine, but I don't know for how long this has been happening, or how widespread.

Just now, 無声影武者 said:

According to a quick google search it's not just my machine, but I don't know for how long this has been happening, or how widespread.

I can assure you - it's not Windows' fault - I have the latest updates installed and the latest available BIOS on none of my devices has been applied without me manually going in and flashing it.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I can assure you - it's not Windows' fault - I have the latest updates installed and the latest available BIOS on none of my devices has been applied without me manually going in and flashing it.

I don't know what to say to that other than it was windows on my machine, and apparently it's happening to other ASUS machines, as well as Dell machines.

4 minutes ago, 無声影武者 said:

I don't know what to say to that other than it was windows on my machine, and apparently it's happening to other ASUS machines, as well as Dell machines.

Damn, my mom has an Asus machine. An all in one at that, so higher temps wouldn't be wonderful. Hope your issue isn't too widespread lol

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

3 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

Damn, my mom has an Asus machine. An all in one at that, so higher temps wouldn't be wonderful. Hope your issue isn't too widespread lol

I feel yah! I will say that the temps have leveled back out, but the fans are definitely working just a bit harder than they were before, and this is all after a windows feature update this morning.

Like I said - check load temps. Idles can be caused by many things including new Windows tasks running in the background.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Like I said - check load temps. Idles can be caused by many things including new Windows tasks running in the background.

I've been running tests, but more data is needed before I can draw a conclusion.