CPU usage weirdly low after GPU upgrade

Ruk

Hi all,

I'm quite new, so please bear with me. I recently began a mission to upgrade my pre-built PC I bought 5 years ago. I got a new case, new PSU, a 240GB SSD, New CPU cooler, and new ram. (All used except the GPU)

Previous specs of the  pre-built:

Mobo: M52BC

GPU: Radeon R9 270 2GB

CPU: AMD FX-8300 8 core (Really just 4 cores to some software?

PSU: Unsure 500W (old and irrelevant)

RAM: Crappy 8GB stick ($35 new)

After the upgrade:

Mobo: M52BC (I assume there's a bottleneck here? This mobo is pretty bad spec wise and I just don't have the $ to get a new one ATM)

GPU: GIGABYTE RX 570 4GB

CPU: AMD FX-8300, Hyper 212 EVO

PSU: Corsair TX650W

RAM: HyperX 1600Hz 16GB (2x8)

SSD: $40 SSD, not the best but better than the HDD I was running

-Running Windows 10

So, the issue:

Before the GPU upgrade I had all of these other parts assembled and used for about a month. Games ran decently, but Rust still ran at 40/45FPS and was beginning to be inconsistent. I found a decent deal on the RX570 new and picked it up. I installed it and my mobo seemed to accept it no problem, everything looked good in BIOS so I booted up. I installed drivers but did not delete previous ones until a later clean install. 

Now playing Rust, my CPU temps is super low (Its a CPU intensive game), however the core usage was consistent on all 8 cores. It just feels like my CPU isn't running at all, before it would be at 50/55*C and now it barely hits 45*C. Rust runs much worse, many more lag spikes and lower FPS. I cannot find the issue, I notice less than expect speeds in other games such as Fallout 4 (It didn't even recognize my GPU and gave lowest settings) I have the latest Radeon settings from what I can see, but I'm going to attempt another driver install tonight with DDU.

My question is: Is this just me needing a Mobo upgrade, maybe my ram is shit, GPU drivers, GPU being too powerful for the CPU and making it run like ass, or maybe my newish PSU is bad? 

Thanks in advanced, I can supply as much info as needed!

6 hours ago, Ruk said:

Hi all,

I'm quite new, so please bear with me. I recently began a mission to upgrade my pre-built PC I bought 5 years ago. I got a new case, new PSU, a 240GB SSD, New CPU cooler, and new ram. (All used except the GPU)

After the upgrade:

Mobo: M52BC (I assume there's a bottleneck here? This mobo is pretty bad spec wise and I just don't have the $ to get a new one ATM)

-Running Windows 10

So, the issue:

Before the GPU upgrade I had all of these other parts assembled and used for about a month. Games ran decently, but Rust still ran at 40/45FPS and was beginning to be inconsistent. I found a decent deal on the RX570 new and picked it up. I installed it and my mobo seemed to accept it no problem, everything looked good in BIOS so I booted up. I installed drivers but did not delete previous ones until a later clean install. 

Now playing Rust, my CPU temps is super low (Its a CPU intensive game), however the core usage was consistent on all 8 cores. It just feels like my CPU isn't running at all, before it would be at 50/55*C and now it barely hits 45*C. Rust runs much worse, many more lag spikes and lower FPS. I cannot find the issue, I notice less than expect speeds in other games such as Fallout 4 (It didn't even recognize my GPU and gave lowest settings) I have the latest Radeon settings from what I can see, but I'm going to attempt another driver install tonight with DDU.

My question is: Is this just me needing a Mobo upgrade, maybe my ram is shit, GPU drivers, GPU being too powerful for the CPU and making it run like ass, or maybe my newish PSU is bad? 

Hi, I would make sure all previous display drivers are removed, then try to install the latest again.

There are tools out there that can help you with this, like guru3d and drivermagician.

I am assuming you did not re-install windows...

11 hours ago, Ruk said:

Hi all,

After the upgrade:

-Running Windows 10

So, the issue:

Your specs are balanced, so there's no clear reason to bottleneck.

Can you do some stress tests with AIDA64 and some benchmarks with 3DMark (or other)? Maybe the results show us some clues to the problem.

Hello,

Thanks for the responses! Last night I messed with it for a while. Did a complete re-install of the GPU drivers using DDU with my internet unplugged (as they recommend). After this I seemed to have lost the stutter I was experiencing. Still something is stopping my GPU and CPU to run hard. While in game my GPU barely hit 50% usage in Task Manager.

Temperatures while in game:

GPU: 65-70*C

CPU: 45-50*C

FPS: After the fluctuations were fixed it sat around 40FPS

Maybe this is my new PSU that isn't giving enough power? I'm looking at a used mobo right now to see if that's the issue. Any thoughts on the Gigabyte AM3+ GA-78LMT-USB3? I believe its the 6.0 revision. 

I'll try to run AIDA64 and some benchmarks today. I did use the "stress" feature in CPU-Z and my CPU was able to go 100% usage no problem, all 8 cores 100%.

I didn't re-install Windows no, just the drivers. Confirmed I was running the latest.

UPDATE: Plugged in my old PSU supply to see if this one is possibly defective (Long shot, but I got it used). Didn't change anything, still getting low FPS and low usage on everything.

Edited by Ruk
Update

6 minutes ago, Ruk said:

Hello,

Thanks for the responses! Last night I messed with it for a while. Did a complete re-install of the GPU drivers using DDU with my internet unplugged (as they recommend). After this I seemed to have lost the stutter I was experiencing. Still something is stopping my GPU and CPU to run hard. While in game my GPU barely hit 50% usage in Task Manager.

Temperatures while in game:

GPU: 65-70*C

CPU: 45-50*C

FPS: After the fluctuations were fixed it sat around 40FPS

Maybe this is my new PSU that isn't giving enough power? I'm looking at a used mobo right now to see if that's the issue. Any thoughts on the Gigabyte AM3+ GA-78LMT-USB3? I believe its the 6.0 revision. 

I'll try to run AIDA64 and some benchmarks today. I did use the "stress" feature in CPU-Z and my CPU was able to go 100% usage no problem, all 8 cores 100%.

I didn't re-install Windows no, just the drivers. Confirmed I was running the latest.

On second thought, after reading some reviews and double checking my specs, not getting that mobo. Looking at some better ones now.

More investigation. I've discovered my issues, just need to know how to fix them now.

My CPU throttles hard while in game. Dropping to 1.4Ghz and destroying my frames. I've checked all my power options. AMD settings and Windows. What could be causing my CPU to shit the bed so hard?

5 hours ago, Ruk said:

More investigation. I've discovered my issues, just need to know how to fix them now.

My CPU throttles hard while in game. Dropping to 1.4Ghz and destroying my frames. I've checked all my power options. AMD settings and Windows. What could be causing my CPU to shit the bed so hard?

Have you changed any BIOS settings?

There could be some turbo options or similar in the BIOS that could be holding the CPU from reaching higher clocks...

9 hours ago, Vasilis_84 said:

Have you changed any BIOS settings?

There could be some turbo options or similar in the BIOS that could be holding the CPU from reaching higher clocks...

Okay so I messed around some more. Disabled all power saving options in BIOS and disabled HPET in BIOS, enabled in Windows. It no longer stutters the Ghz but now just sits consistently low. I guess now I need to increase clock speeds? It sits at 3.28Ghz even though right next to it, it states Base Clock:  3.31Ghz. 

So next step is increasing my clock I assume? My CPU temps are so low I feel like I could increase this quite a bit. temps for CPu in game around 40-45*C

Let me know if I shouldn't be oevrclocking with my current setup, or the easiest way to? Checked and could not find any Turbo options in BIOS, not sur eif my MoBo + CPU has that. (Its running in performance more is BIOS)

image.png

Update: Stressing the CPU with CPU-Z it still refuses to increase clock speeds, is this what I should be expecting? I see no voltage options in BIOS so I assume my Mobo sucks so bad it can't OC my CPU?image.png.406d6b44f8e8f0f5f7ebac82fcdac0ee.png

51 minutes ago, Darknysrogh said:

Ill give it a try to a bios update, have u?

Doing that currently, so far so good. This is super easy with ASUS EZ. BIOS was out of date, found a version from 2015

So, with my clock speeds, however low, now being consistent. With all the power management in the world turned off, I'm left the simple fact that I can't increase the clock speeds with this mobo and CPU.

-This should be caused by the fact I'm using a mobo from a crappy ASUS prebuilt

So, I should just invest in a new mobo and then be able to increase CPU clock speeds. Looking into mobos now.

Hi all!

Thank you all for the help. Just ordered a ASUS M5A78L-M Plus 760G. Should work great with my build and unlock overclocking! (Plus work payed for half of it :))

I'll update this thread with my final thoughts on the board

Thank you,

Ruk