USB Flashdrive Files Corrupted

Go to solution Solved by CYapTiti,
1 hour ago, TomvanWijnen said:

:/ - how about exFAT? Or NFTS? Or on a different computer (maybe one with Windows 7?)? If that also doesn't work, I fear it might indeed be dead.

Formatting the drive with exFAT fixed it! Thanks for the suggestion!

I have this Kingston 8 GB flashdrive when I tried to put files on there, it either corrupts or gone missing when I put those files inside a folder (both happens after I ejected the drive and put it back in). I need help to fix the drive because I'm using it to dual boot Linux on my laptop. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (41).png

Reformatting generally helps if my SD cards or USB  stick randomly become weird or corrupted or something. You could also (first) try letting Windows search for errors. I believe you can do that by right clicking the thing in "my pc" (where you can also see your SSD/HDD) and asking for it somewhere there. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

It's likely dying and should be replaced, but it might be a fixable partition issue that can be resolved with check disk, or at worst a re-format.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Reformatting generally helps if my SD cards or USB  stick randomly become weird or corrupted or something. You could also (first) try letting Windows search for errors. I believe you can do that by right clicking the thing in "my pc" (where you can also see your SSD/HDD) and asking for it somewhere there. :)

I did let Windows to scan the drive if anything was wrong, but it says that the drive is fine. I also just formatted the drive to FAT32 but still didn't work.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's likely dying and should be replaced, but it might be a fixable partition issue that can be resolved with check disk, or at worst a re-format.

It is about 5-6 years old and I haven't used it since 2-3 years ago. I tried both of your suggested method but it didn't work.

1 minute ago, CYapTiti said:

I did let Windows to scan the drive if anything was wrong, but it says that the drive is fine. I also just formatted the drive to FAT32 but still didn't work.

It is about 5-6 years old and I haven't used it since 2-3 years ago. I tried both of your suggested method but it didn't work.

If it's still not working after a format then it's physically failing and there's nothing you can do.  They do die/wear out over time, and it sounds like it's had quite a life already so it's not that surprising.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, CYapTiti said:

FAT32

:/ - how about exFAT? Or NFTS? Or on a different computer (maybe one with Windows 7?)? If that also doesn't work, I fear it might indeed be dead.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, TomvanWijnen said:

I haven't tried exFAT or NFTS, I guess I'll try that.

Also my only other laptop is Windows 8 and it also didn't work there too

1 hour ago, CYapTiti said:

I haven't tried exFAT or NFTS, I guess I'll try that.

Also my only other laptop is Windows 8 and it also didn't work there too

Wow it turns out that exFAT fixed my drive! Thanks alot!

1 hour ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Formatting the drive with exFAT fixed it! Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If it's still not working after a format then it's physically failing and there's nothing you can do.  They do die/wear out over time, and it sounds like it's had quite a life already so it's not that surprising.

I just reformated it with exFAT and it's working perfectly again! ?

10 hours ago, CYapTiti said:

I just reformated it with exFAT and it's working perfectly again! ?

Oh, I thought you'd tried formatting it already. Well, good to hear either way :)