My first attempt at liquid cooling using a custom loop

Hi all,

This will be my first attempt at liquid cooling, so please bear with me as I am learning. :)

So just to start this off here is my list of components:

Processor: Core i5-4670K (overclocked to 4.3GHz/1.2V; will go higher if possible and stable)

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A

RAM: G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Video Card: XFX R9290AENFC (overclocked & overvolted; both as high as possible and stable)

OS/App HDD: SAMSUNG MZ-7TE120BW

Gaming HDD: SAMSUNG MZ-7TE120BW

Case: NZXT H440

Here is a list of cooling components I know that I want to use so far:

Fittings: Koolance Compression fittings

My question is for the two fan options below, which radiators (max 360mm) would be best?

Option 1: Noctua NF-F12 PWM (Fan Speed: 1200 RPM)

Option 2: Scythe USA D1225C12B3AP-13 (Fan Speed: 1150 RPM)

Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it.

-Geran

Noiseblocker Eloops :wub:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You're correct. I always hear great things about Noctua fans (even in Linus's videos). As for radiators, I did look at the Alphacool radiators and they are definitely nice. I was also looking at the HWLabs Black Ice SR-1 as well.

Based on what Eric said in the H440 thread, I might be able to fit a 45mm radiator at the top with 25mm fans but it might be a tight fit.

Get scythes or eloops 

Thank you for your options. I'll look at the NB Eloops.

Noiseblocker Eloops :wub:

I'll check these out as well as the other two. Thank you :)

Hi all,

This will be my first attempt at liquid cooling, so please bear with me as I am learning. :)

Here is a list of cooling components I know that I want to use so far:

Fittings: Koolance Compression fittings

My question is for the two fan options below, which radiators (max 360mm) would be best?

Option 1: Noctua NF-F12 PWM (Fan Speed: 1200 RPM)
Option 2: Scythe USA D1225C12B3AP-13 (Fan Speed: 1150 RPM)

Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it.

-Geran

welcome to LinusTechTips forums and water cooling section

what radiator(s) have you looked into or settled on?

will have a bearing on temperatures and fan speed needed to cool.

why don't you scratch the pump and res option you have and just go with this?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16242/ex-res-373/Bitspower_Single_D5_Pump_and_150_Reservoir_Combo_-_Installed.html

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

welcome to LinusTechTips forums and water cooling section

what radiator(s) have you looked into or settled on?

will have a bearing on temperatures and fan speed needed to cool.

I've looked into the following radiators so far (all radiators will be 240mm):

• 2x Alphacool NeXxos XT45 w/ Scythe USA D1225C12B3AP-13
  • 2x Alphacool NeXxos ST30 w/ Noctua NF-F12

This is it so far. My biggest thing is that I want the best cooling with the lowest noise. So if I'm able to run the Noctua between 10-15dba and get great cool, that's what I want.

why don't you scratch the pump and res option you have and just go with this?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16242/ex-res-373/Bitspower_Single_D5_Pump_and_150_Reservoir_Combo_-_Installed.html

You my friend are awesome. I was looking for something like that.

So my question still remains...will 2x Alphacool NeXxos XT45 with either Scythe USA D1225C12B3AP-13 or Noctua NF-F12 be enough cooling for a Core i5-4670K (overclocked to 4.3GHz/1.2V; will go higher if possible and stable) & XFX R9290AENFC (overclocked & overvolted; both as high as possible and stable)? Or should I move up to the Scythe USA Scythe USA D1225C12B5AP-15?

So my question still remains...will 2x Alphacool NeXxos XT45 with either Scythe USA D1225C12B3AP-13 or Noctua NF-F12 be enough cooling for a Core i5-4670K (overclocked to 4.3GHz/1.2V; will go higher if possible and stable) & XFX R9290AENFC (overclocked & overvolted; both as high as possible and stable)? Or should I move up to the Scythe USA Scythe USA D1225C12B5AP-15?

yes, the 2x xt45 240 will cool a CPU/GPU loop. as to the fan speed, the AP-13 might be

too slow/staticless to keep the temperatures agreeable. the NF-F12 will have the same RPM

(with LNA installed), but more static pressure. the AP-14 would prolly be a better choice being

quieter than NF-F12 and tolerable temperatures. the AP-15 is better temp wise, but louder

than NF-F12. you may want to look here for more help: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112961-noctuas-vs-scythe-gts/#entry1512521

sources: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/gentle-typhoon-120-mm.html

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en&set=1

Some good watercooling guide/review channels on youtube. There is a lot of info these guys give.

SingularityComputers

Dazmode

Ronsanut