Suggestions and tips for a SSD

Hello everyone! I've decided i'm going to have a 480/512GB SATA SSD, but i don't know much about what makes a SSD good. Give me some tips and suggestions regarding this while shopping for a reliable SSD.

What (features) make an SSD good? What should i look for in a SSD?

What is TLC, TRIM support, NCQ, 3D NAND and are other things i missed?

What's the difference between mSATA and SATA3 SSD's?

I found some SSD's on pretty attractive prices. Are they reliable? Will they last years without problems? What's your general opinion on them?

• 480GB Kingston A400 SATA3 2.5" (SA400S37/480G)
  • ADATA SU630 480GB 3D NAND
  • 480GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SATA3
  • 512GB Adata SU800 SATA3 2.5" 3D NAND

TLC will ware out faster then mlc and slc. (but is faster then mlc and slc) Make sure it has a Dram cache on it (most decent ones do). Trim support  helps maintain the preformance of the drive over time. I have a crucial mx300 that i have had for 3years now and its still going strong. Honestly since there isnt much difference in speed i would prob go with whats cheap in that list. Sata3 is the current and standard of sata and is what most drives use to my knowlage.

Triple layer chip (3 layers) =         faster but wears out quickist.
Multilayer chip    (2 Layers) =      bit faster but wears out quicker
Single layer chip (1 layer)  =    slower but lasts longer

My friend has a 120gb ssd that hes had for around 7 years and it still works just fine. Its tlc so honestly dont worry too much. As long as it works with sata 3 then its good to go. Kingston usually works just fine. Its what i bought to drop in my fathers machine.

@EmoChipmonk What about NCQ and 3D NAND? The 480GB ADATA SU650 has Trim, NCQ and 3D NAND, but it isn't mentioned whether its slc or anything. I saw some of Linus' videos on 3d NAND, TLC and other stuff, and i ended up with the impression that an SSD can only have one of these features, but then i found some SSD's with both 3D NAND and TLC!

How does 3D NAND compare to TLC and SLC? Does it last longer? Is it slower?

Do the listed SSD's have DRAM? How can i check if a SSD has DRAM?

How much do warrenties matter? All cheap SSD's i can find have 2-3 year warrenty.

3d nand as far as I know is the best type at the moment. You would have to look up that specific ssd (usually reviews) for of it has a dram cache on it. I personally never care about warranties. I wouldnt want to use an ssd more then 3-5 years at a time befor upgrading my personal rig. But they can last way longer. Most ssds can handle somthing like 50 or 60 gb of writes per day every day for like a couple years which is an unusual work load for such a cheap solution. So you should be fine.

6 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

3d nand as far as I know is the best type at the moment. You would have to look up that specific ssd (usually reviews) for of it has a dram cache on it. I personally never care about warranties. I wouldnt want to use an ssd more then 3-5 years at a time befor upgrading my personal rig. But they can last way longer. Most ssds can handle somthing like 50 or 60 gb of writes per day every day for like a couple years which is an unusual work load for such a cheap solution. So you should be fine.

I see all of these SSD's lack DRAM cache, which helps with speed and longevity, and i'm worried about that. Been searching for SSD's with DRAM cache but they're a little expensive. Is there any somewhat cheap SSD with DRAM cache?

I read some reviews and complaints where the SSD just freezes and so does your entire system for no reason, or how after transferring some amount of GB (i forgot how many) it just topples down and transfers very slowly. I'm worried about this too.

I'm also planning on keeping it for 5+ years, so that's why i want it to be of good quality.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, EmoChipmonk said:

Triple layer chip (3 layers) =         faster but wears out quickist.
Multilayer chip    (2 Layers) =      bit faster but wears out quicker
Single layer chip (1 layer)  =    slower but lasts longer

You got this completely mixed up. 

SLC>MLC>TLC , both in SPEED and in LONGEVITY. 

but thing is , SLC is so damn expensive it,s usually relegated to the cache on most ssds. 

And iirc only samsung sells consumer MLC drives...