Steam Machine, But you weren't expecting this.....

So with the current Steam Machine craze, I decided to think out side the box ( see what I did there ) so here is the craziness. This is meant to take advantage of Steam's in home streaming. I could put tech names but these are just gonna be casual description and links so you guys can look at it:

20140130 221858

So here is what i'm starting out with. A PNY 512 MB 9800GT Power Edition, 2 x 2 Gb 1333 DDR3 SO-DIMM ram, 2.5" 120Gb 5400 rpm cannibalized laptop hard drive. 

51Ew6R97gZL

It's basically a M-ITX board with a celeron 847 soldered to the board.

D 118V2 ITX 01

This is a 1U server case with an 80 plus bronze 200 watt power supply.

PEX16RISER.B

PCI Express riser card is needed because the full length slot is horizontal in the back.

mC5ej2A7FMLt nX5JOp7LPw

Since the case doesn't come with any fans, I was thinking I might need a bit of air flow ( sarcasm ) so i'm gonna get 2 or 3 of these.

So what do you think. Any feedback would be great.

I'd probably invest in a case, keep it out of harm and reduce dust.

Other than that, it's a beast PC :P.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Can that 200w psu actually support that 9800gt? Does it have at least a single 6pin pcie connector?

Nope, Its the power edition so its the 75 watt tdp version which means no supplementary power. I think the current config is perfect.

Here is the mental quick and dirty power calculation. The CPU consumes 17 watts under load, put another 75 watts for 9800GT because that's the max amount of wattage that can delivered over the PCI Express bus, the hard drive will eat 5 watts max because of the laptop design, so now the only things left are the fans and the ram. I think the other 103 watts can take care of that. Even if I assume 20% power inefficiency, I still have roughly 80 watts to work with.

Loving the idea of using in-home streaming. Might actually build myself a small steambox myself after reading this!

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

so inhome streaming means you use that build with the 9800gt (wich i sadly "use" too) to play games on the tv and other devices?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

so inhome streaming means you use that build with the 9800gt (wich i sadly "use" too) to play games on the tv and other devices?

So the basic idea is that you have your full gaming pc set up in your office and over the network it does all the processing and sends the data to the second pc on the network that is doing the receiving. Some people are attempting it with a rasberry pi as their receiving end computer.