Bad wifi need help

Ozzi

so we got a new router at my home and when i first find i was like finally some better wifi in my room but after setting it up i have just gotten worst download speed i went from have around 10 mb/s download on steam to like 1 or 2 mb/s and i dont know what to do about it

The router is a TP-link tl-wr940n
i dont know what to do i just want better speed in my room

and my wifi card is ASUS PCE-AC68

WiFi is very sensitive. You can either try to tweak some settings in the router menu.

(open cmd in windows and type "ipconfig" in the listing under your wifi adapter you will see "default gateway" note the IP adress of the default gateway. 

Then go to the browser and type the IP adress of your gateway in the adress bar. 

Then you should get to the login page of your router.

Login with your credentials (the standard credentials might be printed on the back of your router)

Inside the menu of your router you can for example change the network channel to a free channel.

You can download an app on your phone for example that scans network channels, and you can see where your neigbors or other wifi devices operate, so you can change your network channel to a free channel.

That might be all the things you can change in your menu.

Unfortunately your router is only capable of wireless n and only 2.4 GHz, which pretty outdated.

The physical things you can do to improve your wireless speed:

Change the location of the router, so it is closer to your room. 

Walls and Doors and other obstacles have a big impact on wifi performance. Try to go through as less walls and obstacles as possible. 

You can try to adjust your wifi antennas a bit, but that won't help that much.

Ultimate solution would be to connect via LAN cable. This is the non plus ultra, and you will achieve the full speed you pay for. 

And if possible, return your router and buy a better, newer one. This thing is pretty old and outdated. Try to get one with dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz and maybe Beam Forming technology or similar. 

You could also try to get a cheap wifi repeater, but rather buy a new router instead.