Gaming/Work build {$2,000}

Go to solution Solved by trevb0t,

You could do something like this:

Build 1: Monster CPU, GREAT GPU, lots of very fast RAM. Great 1440p gamer, but specced more for workload than build 2:

• 3900X will decimate all in workload processing, and is competitive with the top chips in gaming as well
  • Dark Rock Pro 4 is about the best air cooler on the market. Nearly silent, even at load, and a nice sleek black look.
  • 32GB of that 3600mhz RAM that Zen 2 craves. The Ripjaws are pretty overclockable if you wanted to tighten up the CL timings as you get more comfortable.
  • Blazing fast Evo Plus NVMe will assist in your workload computing. 3TB HDD for all the other stuff. You could also grab something like a 660p or Crucial P1 in a 2TB version for a bit of a savings.
  • Very solid 3 fan model of the 2080 Super, factory OCed. This will game VERY well on your 1440p monitor.
  • Very nice modular PSU for a great price
  • All black build in the sexy and very nice Meshify C. I included a couple extra matching case fans to supplement the ones included.

Build 2: Lesser, but still great workload/gaming CPU. A bit slower RAM for a good savings. Monster GPU. A bit lighter on the workload capability, and about a 10-20% FPS improvement depending on the game.

• 3700X is a great performer at a solid price. Loses some productivity on the 3900X, but games comparably.
  • 32GB 3200mhz RAM that can certainly be overclocked to something close to 3600mhz. (May be a good option in the previous build for the savings, if you're interested in overclocking it.)
  • Huge savings on the 1TB 660p NVMe. Not as fast or as sturdy as the 970 Evo Plus, but a good option for the price. Could also look at a P1.
  • Very solid RTX 2080Ti. This is currently the top of the pile for GPUs. 
  • No further changes, again solid components in a sleek all black build.

I would personally take option one. (I might grab the RAM and the 660p from option 2 for a savings. You could easily put these savings into perhaps a higher tier MOBO if you so chose. Or keep it in your pocket. Gaming X has been a solid enough option in the past.) 

The 2080 Super is a very good option for how much less it costs than its bigger brother, and the 3900X is the top of the pile. The differences between the GPUs would be more noticeable at like 4K ULTRA gaming than at 1440p.

I could easily throw together a full RGB version of either if that interests you more. I liked the all black look myself.

PSU link: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817376006?Description=bitfenix whisper&cm_re=bitfenix_whisper-_-9SIAGRZ79X0632-_-Product

With the new parts that came out recently, whats looking like the best build for $2000-2250. Mostly will be using for coding, debugging, and gaming equally.

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

Do you need monitor, keyboard mouse etc. What resolution, which FPS, which games.

Just the PC, I have everything else. 1440p, 165hz, games vary from overwatch to battlefield 5

Build 1: Monster CPU, GREAT GPU, lots of very fast RAM. Great 1440p gamer, but specced more for workload than build 2:

• 3900X will decimate all in workload processing, and is competitive with the top chips in gaming as well
  • Dark Rock Pro 4 is about the best air cooler on the market. Nearly silent, even at load, and a nice sleek black look.
  • 32GB of that 3600mhz RAM that Zen 2 craves. The Ripjaws are pretty overclockable if you wanted to tighten up the CL timings as you get more comfortable.
  • Blazing fast Evo Plus NVMe will assist in your workload computing. 3TB HDD for all the other stuff. You could also grab something like a 660p or Crucial P1 in a 2TB version for a bit of a savings.
  • Very solid 3 fan model of the 2080 Super, factory OCed. This will game VERY well on your 1440p monitor.
  • All black build in the sexy and very nice Meshify C. I included a couple extra matching case fans to supplement the ones included.

Build 2: Lesser, but still great workload/gaming CPU. A bit slower RAM for a good savings. Monster GPU. A bit lighter on the workload capability, and about a 10-20% FPS improvement depending on the game.

• 3700X is a great performer at a solid price. Loses some productivity on the 3900X, but games comparably.
  • 32GB 3200mhz RAM that can certainly be overclocked to something close to 3600mhz. (May be a good option in the previous build for the savings, if you're interested in overclocking it.)
  • Huge savings on the 1TB 660p NVMe. Not as fast or as sturdy as the 970 Evo Plus, but a good option for the price. Could also look at a P1.

I would personally take option one. (I might grab the RAM and the 660p from option 2 for a savings. You could easily put these savings into perhaps a higher tier MOBO if you so chose. Or keep it in your pocket. Gaming X has been a solid enough option in the past.) 

The 2080 Super is a very good option for how much less it costs than its bigger brother, and the 3900X is the top of the pile. The differences between the GPUs would be more noticeable at like 4K ULTRA gaming than at 1440p.

I could easily throw together a full RGB version of either if that interests you more. I liked the all black look myself.

PSU link: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817376006?Description=bitfenix whisper&cm_re=bitfenix_whisper-_-9SIAGRZ79X0632-_-Product

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($119.88 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.23 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card  ($1069.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($83.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2319.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-04 22:42 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 8/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, trevb0t said:

Very helpful, thank you so much.

9 hours ago, Charleymuteland said:

Very helpful, thank you so much.

Sure! I will also say that @VEXICUS's build above does include the 3900X and the 2080Ti without much in the way of quality sacrifices. I was impressed by that!

(I would still grab the BitFenix Whisper for the PSU, the Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, and the extra case fans, though!)

59 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Sure! I will also say that @VEXICUS's build above does include the 3900X and the 2080Ti without much in the way of quality sacrifices. I was impressed by that!

(I would still grab the BitFenix Whisper for the PSU, the Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, and the extra case fans, though!)

Gotta have some RGB bling?

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

Gotta have some RGB bling?

In the Meshify C, I'd actually prefer all black :) 

In perhaps the CM H500, I'm all for RGB.