need help choosing a cpu

ok so im building a new computer to replace my aging X58 intel LGA 1366 desktop pc. the motherboard i have chosen is the B450 TOMAHAWK this pc will be primarily used for gaming. colling the cpu will be a 360mm aio from cooler master i also have a seasonic focus gold 750 watt psu. building this cpu for assassins creed odyssey my screen res  if it matters is 1280x1024 im having trouble deciding between the 2600x or the 3600 non X cpu's for me the 2600x is a bit cheaper then the 3600 oh and my gpu is a 1660Ti evga black which cpu should i get and why i dont plan to overclock yet as i hear the cpu auto overclock works better then manual OC

below is a screenshot of my AC benchmark on a mixture of medium and high settings if it helps 

just need help choosing a cpu. i know 3600 is supposed to be better but i cant find many reviews comparing it to the 2600x in AC odyssey and other games

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

wew, throwback to 2004, then again i cant judge as im posting this from windows vista

Id suggest the 2600x if on B450, if youre going to go with the 3600 though i would spring for the X570 motherboard to allow for an even further upgrade in the future.

B450 will support the 3600 but its not very likely it will support whatever comes after Zen 3, limiting potential upgrades.

as far as like actual performance goes, theyre very close, the 3600 is definitely a bit more powerful but its not the most drastic of performance differences

it just comes down to a matter of future planning and what you intend to do with the system in the coming few years as new hardware is released

i plan to use it for gaming for the next few years but i dont see myself wanting to upgrade anytime soon i had my X58 setup from 2015 till now only upgrading cuz some newer games struggle on my cpu

I would have to agree with the above statement regarding the motherboard.  x570 is certainly something you probably don't want nor need, but x470 motherboards have impact and effective power delivery systems that you may find are simply not on the B450 series.  The power supply and the motherboard will dictate how well your system runs.  If you would like a motherboard recommendation or have a list of motherboards you're looking at we can certainly take it from there.

As far as gaming performance goes Zen 2 has much higher single thread IPC then Zen++, this will make it run much better in games because in the year 2019 most games assume 4 cores, 8 threads with some nice single core IPC.  We have some exceptions but AC oddyssey is not one of them.  I've read some terrible stories about people buying the 2700x with a b450 platform and not getting the performance they wanted.

The 3600 is probably the best bang for buck CPU out there at the moment.  If you want a decently made motherboard that's a little bit cheaper (but no worse) then look at some of AsRock's motherboards.  Some of them don't have "gaming" on them but they perform really well and in my opinion I've had more luck with AsRock then the other 3.

Compare the two motherboards just in price

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B450M-Promontory-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B07MV9BMNY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asrock+b450&qid=1564903364&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/ASROCK-AMD-X470-Chip-Motherboard-X470-Taichi/dp/B07C1Z4RMT/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=asrock+x470&qid=1564903375&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Also keep in mind that the key difference between B450 and x470 is memory support, validation and improved m.2 compatibility as well as Intel LAN vs Killer LAN.  I realize it doesn't seem like a big difference but Intel NICs have hardware acceleration for network traffic allowing the CPU to do more important things.  Killer LAN can use some of your CPU cycles to perform network operations.  Some games including AC have anti-cheat DLC that can constantly ping home resulting in lost frames due to network traffic.

But again if none of that concerns you then the 3600 is probably the best recommendation for gaming :)

I hope the advice helps

4 minutes ago, phoenixflower said:

I would have to agree with the above statement regarding the motherboard.  x570 is certainly something you probably don't want nor need, but x470 motherboards have impact and effective power delivery systems that you may find are simply not on the B450 series.  The power supply and the motherboard will dictate how well your system runs.  If you would like a motherboard recommendation or have a list of motherboards you're looking at we can certainly take it from there.

As far as gaming performance goes Zen 2 has much higher single thread IPC then Zen++, this will make it run much better in games because in the year 2019 most games assume 4 cores, 8 threads with some nice single core IPC.  We have some exceptions but AC oddyssey is not one of them.  I've read some terrible stories about people buying the 2700x with a b450 platform and not getting the performance they wanted.

The 3600 is probably the best bang for buck CPU out there at the moment.  If you want a decently made motherboard that's a little bit cheaper (but no worse) then look at some of AsRock's motherboards.  Some of them don't have "gaming" on them but they perform really well and in my opinion I've had more luck with AsRock then the other 3.

Compare the two motherboards just in price

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B450M-Promontory-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B07MV9BMNY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asrock+b450&qid=1564903364&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/ASROCK-AMD-X470-Chip-Motherboard-X470-Taichi/dp/B07C1Z4RMT/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=asrock+x470&qid=1564903375&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Also keep in mind that the key difference between B450 and x470 is memory support, validation and improved m.2 compatibility as well as Intel LAN vs Killer LAN.  I realize it doesn't seem like a big difference but Intel NICs have hardware acceleration for network traffic allowing the CPU to do more important things.  Killer LAN can use some of your CPU cycles to perform network operations.  Some games including AC have anti-cheat DLC that can constantly ping home resulting in lost frames due to network traffic.

But again if none of that concerns you then the 3600 is probably the best recommendation for gaming :)

I hope the advice helps

phoenix flower what mobo would you recommend for a 3600 non x cpu i was thinking B450 tomahawk

Also unlike with Intel CPUs, All Ryzen CPUs are unlocked.  All the "x" means in reality is they factory overclocked it for you.  Having a non "k" Intel CPU meant you were frequency locked.  This is simply not the case with Ryzen CPUs.

3 minutes ago, phoenixflower said:

Also unlike with Intel CPUs, All Ryzen CPUs are unlocked.  All the "x" means in reality is they factory overclocked it for you.  Having a non "k" Intel CPU meant you were frequency locked.  This is simply not the case with Ryzen CPUs.

i plan to use at least 16gb ram not sure what kind tho this is all new to me my last pc build was in 2008 during the old 990x intel days

Okay, so RAM is pretty pivotal with Ryzen.  You'll want to get at minimal 2933 Mhz Rated RAM, with a strong consideration for 3000 Mhz Rated RAM, and best normalized gaming experiences can be found at 3200 Mhz.  The infinity fabric that helps Ryzen works is dependent upon the RAM speed.  It will run at 50% of the sticker speed of the RAM.  So if you have 3000 Mhz RAM, the infinity RAM will cap out at 1500 Mhz.  Ryzen is a little bit different than the Intel platform because of its dependence on good RAM.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-TridentZ-288-Pin-Desktop-F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX/dp/B07GYPXC28/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX&qid=1564905617&s=gateway&sr=8-1 is a solid RAM suggestion

So for motherboards, I would suggest ones that have an Intel NIC.  You seem attached to the B450 specifiction

AsRock

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-fatal1ty-b450-gaming-itx-ac/p/N82E16813157844?Description=asrock b450&cm_re=asrock_b450-_-13-157-844-_-Product

$129 USD

MSI

https://www.newegg.com/msi-performance-gaming-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac/p/N82E16813144188?Description=MSI b450&cm_re=MSI_b450-_-13-144-188-_-Product

$159 USD

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145082?Description=gigabyte atx b450&cm_re=gigabyte_atx_b450-_-13-145-082-_-Product

$119

At these ranges it kinda doesn't matter which one you choose, it's just about which one is on sale and which BIOS you like the most.

Realteck and Killer NICs will suck cycles away from your computer reducing your overall performance.

I do not recommend asus motherboards because of their sketchy behavior as of late.

My qualm with the MSI B450 tomahawk was the choice to incorporate a Realtek 8111H option instead of some kind of Intel NIC.

1 minute ago, phoenixflower said:

My qualm with the MSI B450 tomahawk was the choice to incorporate a Realtek 8111H option instead of some kind of Intel NIC.

i may go with a 2600x just to save money tho

Also based on the interfered price point.  You may have to RMA your board on arrival if you get it from Amazon/third party seller in order to get the correct BIOS revision update or contact AMD regarding a CPU loaner to update the BIOS to the correct revision to allow your system to post with a Ryzen 3600

Okay, if you're target is 60 FPS on medium that will probably be okay.  If you want high settings it will probably struggle a bit.

So again if your target is 60 FPS 1080p medium graphics settings, it'll probably be fine.  You'll probably see an occasional dip but it'll be okay most of the time.  I'm basing this on your GPU being a 1080 or similar performance.

2 hours ago, phoenixflower said:

So again if your target is 60 FPS 1080p medium graphics settings, it'll probably be fine.  You'll probably see an occasional dip but it'll be okay most of the time.  I'm basing this on your GPU being a 1080 or similar performance.

1660Ti is my gpu

Okay, so if you want to achieve a $150 price point for your CPU and you're really only going to use it for gaming.  You'll find the 3400 4 Core/8 thread CPU to be in a much better position (https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3400g/p/N82E16819113570?Description=ryzen 3400&cm_re=ryzen_3400-_-19-113-570-_-Product).  The single core IPC from Zen 2 is much better than Zen++ and will directly impact your gaming performance.  Just be sure to get a 3200 Mhz RAM kit and get timings close to 16-18-18-40 and that should do it for you.

Just be sure to keep Windows in high performance mode, and ask around for optimal settings for your game.  Feel free to start a thread regarding video game performance with the hardware setup you choose and I'm sure the community will help get some more performance out of your hardware.