Add Ubuntu to windows boot manager

Yongtjunkit

Hi, I was wondering how do I add Ubuntu to windows 10 boot manager ?

tried Easybcd and it errors out due to UEFI

Its generally much easier to do the reverse.  If you install most (all?) Linux distros AFTER Windows, then it will usually add Windows to the Linux boot loader automatically.  Its much more fiddly to do the the reverse and more likely to have Windows mess it up after an update.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its generally much easier to do the reverse.  If you install most (all?) Linux distros AFTER Windows, then it will usually add Windows to the Linux boot loader automatically.  Its much more fiddly to do the the reverse and more likely to have Windows mess it up after an update.

Well the main issue is I want windows 10 to be the default os( don’t see the option to set default from grub boot loader) and also I kinda like windows boot loader UI better than grub 

well worse case, I was considering setting windows boot manager as default in the bios and when I want to use Ubuntu, I would use the boot override to go into Ubuntu

Does Ubuntu carry grub-customizer?  You can set the default using that, at least it works on Fedora once you've hit the maximum number of old kernel entries it will add. (so the id of the Windows boot entry doesn't change)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Does Ubuntu carry grub-customizer?  You can set the default using that, at least it works on Fedora once you've hit the maximum number of old kernel entries it will add. (so the id of the Windows boot entry doesn't change)

I’m not sure about that, I haven’t boot into Ubuntu for the 1st time 

Linux install will automatically add Windows to grub. Use grub-customizer to set Windows as default.

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

apparently it’s not included in the minimal version of ubuntu, I had to manually install it 

1 hour ago, C2dan88 said:

Linux install will automatically add Windows to grub. Use grub-customizer to set Windows as default.

So here’s an update 

after I’ve finished installing the Nvidia driver, Ubuntu failed to boot because of shim secure boot ( need to disable shim secure boot to boot into Ubuntu)

so looks like grub is my only choice 

used grub customizer to make the timeout period shorter and bring windows boot manager to the top of the list 

seems like in windows 10, secure boot follows the bios instead of Ubuntu(Shim) secure boot