Framerate graph spikes

Flaneln

Hey . Im going to buy a new processor and ram because of huge stuttering in my games . Im looking online trough benchmarks and the processor i want to get has good framerites . But then there are videos with extra graphs and one of them is is fps graph and other is frame latency graph or something? Anyway its the lower one in the screenshot . Anyway a lot of those graphs have these ocasional spikes and im wondering are those stutters?Because i see them on a lot of these videos and i ran msi afterburner and i see them myself when my game is stuttering. Do all procesors have that and is it normal or is the cpu shit?

https://prnt.sc/oj5kil

Yes what you've shown there are frametime spikes aka stutters.  Generally speaking you'll see a lot more of that with an insufficient CPU, but it's important to keep in mind that all games can do this to some extent, particularly if they are poorly optimized, as a fair number of AAAs always are.  If you can, find benchmarks of that game from somewhere like Gamers Nexus that clearly shows averages, as well as 1% and 0.1% lows for a variety of hardware.  If most setups seem to give pretty tight results with just a few (or no) CPUs having issues, then spikes (when present) should be blamed on the hardware, but if the game has very spread out results across a wide range of hardware, then you know the game is just like that and it's not indicative of a poor CPU.

Here's an example of a very poorly made game that would be a bad experience on any hardware:

If you see this game stutter a lot, that doesn't mean it's bad hardware because clearly it does that on everything.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a6ea58135a7d718f9037188e6f4e5499.png

Here's an example of a consistently good experience across a wide range of hardware:

If you are seeing this game stutter a lot, it would thus be concluded that the hardware is the issue since it works fine on everything else.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1207eb8ef58d15761ac48f3d58f0cfda.png

Here's an example of a problematic pairing involving a specific game and hardware:

Despite respectable averages that are up among what everything else can achieve, the 0.1% lows of the Radeon VII here are trash, falling somewhere between a vega 56 and 2060, well under where it normally sits.  Be mindful of the possibility of situations like this as some hardware just doesn't like certain games, and vice versa.  I've seen many other examples of this same effect before involving hardware from the green and red teams.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3ff5f79c35120ff5df669be85ab8fa88.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.