RAM related question

Hey!

I'm right now running 8gb + 4gb ddr3 sticks in my computer, i know that it cant run in dual channel, both running in same speeds aswell, but should i remove that 4gb stick and just run it 8gb solo?

CPU - FX-8350 stock speeds with wraith cooler

Mobo - asus m5a78l-m le/usb3

Ram - 8GB Ripjaws and 4GB crucial ballistix both ddr3

GPU - RX 580 8GB Red dragon

Thanks in advance!

The best way to determine that is downloading Cinebench R15 (it's only ~105MB and run it three times.

1) With your actual configuration.

2) With the 8gb stick only.

3) With the 8gb stick and a little of ram OC.

Whichever configuration works better, use it. It will take 20 minutes.

Good luck.

Just now, RodrigoRS said:

The best way to determine that is downloading Cinebench R15 (it's only ~105MB and run it three times.

Good luck.

Thanks I will try!

1 hour ago, RodrigoRS said:

Good luck.

Tried it and yeah oc 8gb stick is better than 8+4, so thanks you!

You are welcome! Anyhow, if you plan on keeping that PC a few more years, you should consider getting a similar 8gb stick in the future for 16gb of ram.

Have a good day.

Wait, what's going on here?  Why can't you run those sticks in dual channel?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Wait, what's going on here?  Why can't you run those sticks in dual channel?

Different RAM sizes.

1 hour ago, K0MP4CT said:

Different RAM sizes.

That shouldn't prevent you from running in dual channel if you're using the correct RAM slots.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

23 hours ago, nick name said:

That shouldn't prevent you from running in dual channel if you're using the correct RAM slots.  

The timing and the chips both have to be identical. If they're not, the effort required to get it to run in dual channel isn't worth it. Alternatively, there's flex-mode, however, I don't believe the FX series supports it.

1 minute ago, K0MP4CT said:

The timing and the chips both have to be identical. If they're not, the effort required to get it to run in dual channel isn't worth it. Alternatively, there's flex-mode, however, I don't believe the FX series supports it.

Nah, you just set both sticks to the speed, timings, and voltage of the weakest stick.