Installing OS on SSD or m.2/NVMe

Leanora

Hello, 

So I will be upgrading my system to the new Ryzen 3000 series which means a Fresh OS installation for me. 

I have my OS running on a separate partition located on a SSD. Whenever I do a fresh installation I just wipe the OS partition and keep all my programs and data that are located on different partitions.  Time wise this has been the most efficient for me.

Now I also plan to get a NVMe to get some faster storage. The question that I have however is should I create an OS partition on the NVMe or just continue with the SSD? 

Right now I do not know of a valid reason to install the OS on the NVNe, is there none or am I missing something? 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

55 minutes ago, Leanora said:

Hello, 

So I will be upgrading my system to the new Ryzen 3000 series which means a Fresh OS installation for me. 

I have my OS running on a separate partition located on a SSD. Whenever I do a fresh installation I just wipe the OS partition and keep all my programs and data that are located on different partitions.  Time wise this has been the most efficient for me.

Now I also plan to get a NVMe to get some faster storage. The question that I have however is should I create an OS partition on the NVMe or just continue with the SSD? 

Right now I do not know of a valid reason to install the OS on the NVNe, is there none or am I missing something? 

my experience, having both an nvme and ssd both on m.2 i notice little to no difference between the 2 in terms of load or boot times. (had the OS on SSD when i build the system cause the NVME wasn't delivered yet, when it was in i switched and had no noticable benefits)

My advice would be, if you're an every day user, stick with the cheaper SSD speeds and spend the savings elsewhere. Ram perhaps?

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

I have had the same question haunting me and so far my research has proven to me that OS load times specifically slightly really improve from SATA III to NVMe, nothing majorly noticeable, especially with windows having the fast boot option which already improves load times.

Other than that, you should check if your daily usage includes moving files frequently because then NVMe does offer big improvements.

12 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

my experience, having both an nvme and ssd both on m.2 i notice little to no difference between the 2 in terms of load or boot times. (had the OS on SSD when i build the system cause the NVME wasn't delivered yet, when it was in i switched and had no noticable benefits)

My advice would be, if you're an every day user, stick with the cheaper SSD speeds and spend the savings elsewhere. Ram perhaps?

Yeah I'm also on the fence about ram.  Do I stick with my current 4x 8 gb @ 3200 or is there a noticeable difference when switching to either 4x8gb @ 3600 or 2x 16 GB @ 3600. 

As of yet I haven't seen any benchmarks so for now I'll be sticking with my current ram.  And yes I do require 32gb for some work stuff. 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

41 minutes ago, Leanora said:

Yeah I'm also on the fence about ram.  Do I stick with my current 4x 8 gb @ 3200 or is there a noticeable difference when switching to either 4x8gb @ 3600 or 2x 16 GB @ 3600. 

As of yet I haven't seen any benchmarks so for now I'll be sticking with my current ram.  And yes I do require 32gb for some work stuff. 

asuming you're talking about your build in the signature. It's an intel build. i do not think it will benefit from higher speeds.

I read elsewhere that it's somewhat limited to using 2400mhz and much above that doesn't really matter, since you're already well above it . . . i can only conclude that it won't have much effect, unless you're switching to an AMD system. Then it would be worth an upgrade.

Others probably can advice better on memory speed on intel systems tho.

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

3 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

asuming you're talking about your build in the signature. It's an intel build. i do not think it will benefit from higher speeds.

I read elsewhere that it's somewhat limited to using 2400mhz and much above that doesn't really matter, since you're already well above it . . . i can only conclude that it won't have much effect, unless you're switching to an AMD system. Then it would be worth an upgrade.

Others probably can advice better on memory speed on intel systems tho.

Yes, it's about the build in my cig. I want more cores to make life a bit easier for me.  Mainboard and cpu will be replaced and an NVMe will also be added. 

9 minutes ago, Leanora said:

Yes, it's about the build in my cig. I want more cores to make life a bit easier for me.  Mainboard and cpu will be replaced and an NVMe will also be added. 

In that case, if you're switching to AMD, which is stated in your OP . . . . duhh, then yes upgrading to 3600 could benefit you.

And the difference between 2x 16 or 4x 8 i don't think is noticable in either speed. only give syou more upgrade path's.

Might be a bit tricky to find a good set tho. I know i had troubles 2 years ago, don't know if this has changed since then.