Upgrading my build

Okay so I have roughly 1100$ US to upgrade my build so I can stream without dropping as many frames.

My Current build from 3 years ago has:

i5-6600k

1060 6gb msi armor oc

Asus 170z motherboard

32gb of 2400 gt balistics ram

750 g3 evga power supply 

Nzxt H440

I think it will be okay for me to keep the same case and power supply as mine has a 5 year warranty, but to upgrade I would like to not spend all of it if possible. What of the newer components would be best bang for the buck. Going a 2070 super and Ryzen 3700x so that I can spend some on upgrading to higher speed ram?

hi there,

oc your ram to save a few bucks.

get a b450 board for cheap.

see if ull be fine with a 3600 or if u need 3700x (maybe even higher?) - I guess that all depends on what you'll be doing (especially simultaneously).

spend the rest on gpu.

However, as far as I understand it also matters which programs / method of encoding etc ull be using when streaming, so my knowledge isnt sufficient here, ill pass on saying more to that.

greetings :)

you say you're dropping frames, have you investigated why? 

I'm expecting its the cpu but is it? If it is, focus on that.

but it could very well be that you need higher write / read speeds on the storage you have (which isn't listed?)

please include those in your summary in the OP, so others can give you more proper advice.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Ahh yes sorry for not enough details. I have investigated why, it has seemed my slight OC from 3.5 standard to 3.8 can be maintained during regular gaming no problem what so ever. As I start encoding on OBS for twitch, my core temp spikes significantly and it can no longer maintain the OC. My storage I designated for streaming and recording is a 2tb hybrid drive by seagate. The Write and Read speeds havent seemed to be a problem from what ive noticed. My thought was that it was simply my cpu seems to be the bottleneck for the problem. My case is air cooled but is in a well ventilated place, has 3 120 mm fans on the front one on back and one on top, as well as using a 212 EVO cpu cooler.

8 minutes ago, TkThePk said:

Ahh yes sorry for not enough details. I have investigated why, it has seemed my slight OC from 3.5 standard to 3.8 can be maintained during regular gaming no problem what so ever. As I start encoding on OBS for twitch, my core temp spikes significantly and it can no longer maintain the OC. My storage I designated for streaming and recording is

a 2tb hybrid drive by seagate. The Write and Read speeds havent seemed to be a problem from what ive noticed. My thought was that it was simply my cpu seems to be the bottleneck for the problem. My case is air cooled but is in a well ventilated place, has 3 120 mm fans on the front one on back and one on top, as well as using a 212 EVO cpu cooler.

in that case, i would follow the advice given by Chris, 'upgrade' to a B450 with a 3600 or 3700x. (would recommend an 8 core for your usecase)

You can overclock the memory, but since memory prices are fairly low currently, i would try and get a set of 3200mhz or higher.

p.s. Please don't forget to quote people so they get a notification ;)

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 hour ago, TkThePk said:

32gb of 2400 gt balistics ram

How far can you overclock this memmory on 1,4-1,45 volts? Might not need to buy new memmory

Edit: if you can get 2933mhz without any odd behavior. You should be good