(Help) HP Omni 10 Tablet - Atom Z3770 and Throttling

Nite-Ninja

Greetings all. I've ran out of options. I have an old HP Omni 10 tablet running Windows 10. Its got a Intel Atom Bay Trail Z3770. All things considered, its still a great tablet.

Now the problem I am having is, this machine thermal throttles, hard. But its not actually thermal throttling. At most I see it getting into the 70C range under load in AIDA64. Running AIDA64 stress test though, doesn't trigger it to "thermal throttle." However if I try to do any kind of multitasking, or play something as light as Bejeweled 3 or something, the thermal throttle line will peg to 100% and the CPU will downclock to 0.53ghz, and stay there until I restart the PC.

I've tried using throttlestop to disable things like the turbo boost, undervolt it, etc. I've used registry edits to change the minimum processor state, but no avail there either. I have attached an image, I played Bejeweled 3 for about a minute before that thermal throttle line started, and when the game ran slow I stopped it to take the picture. But I've replicated it doing simple things such as opening a web browser or Windows Explorer

I don't want to give up on this tablet yet. I've even tried installing Ubuntu on it, but it won't boot from USB, which I'm sure that's a separate issue.

Any help or things to try will be greatly appreciated. I'm currently typing this on the tablet (using an external keyboard), and I type faster than it can put in the letters haha.

Throttling.PNG