Computer-Less RAID Ingestion Station

Long time watcher but First post here... be gentle...

I'm helping a friend with his video editing workflow while on mobile gigs. Anyone have any recommendations on a RAID NAS with SD Card and CF Card slots to do video ingestion without using a computer to facilitate the copy? Ideally you'd be able to just plug in an sd card and hit a button or two on the NAS itself (or through web browser interface) to start the copy from SD Card to internal RAID array on NAS so the host of the copy procedure is the NAS itself and doesn't need a computer finder/explorer...

thanks.

There's no turnkey solution, but most NASs (synology / qnap / etc) run on linux and have USB ports. I would look at their addons first (should be able to find them "synology addons") and see if there is already something. If there is such an addon, you'd just buy a SD card reader and plug 'er in.

There's probably already a debian based package that will monitor for removable media and pull files off of it, this would require a little more on your part. 

2 hours ago, Mikensan said:

There's no turnkey solution, but most NASs (synology / qnap / etc) run on linux and have USB ports. I would look at their addons first (should be able to find them "synology addons") and see if there is already something. If there is such an addon, you'd just buy a SD card reader and plug 'er in.

There's probably already a debian based package that will monitor for removable media and pull files off of it, this would require a little more on your part. 

I know for a fact my DS1815+ can show the contents of plugged-in usb thumbdrives in it's web-interface.

Testing with the only cardreader I have (USB Sandisk MobileMate USB2.0 which i got with my microsd-card) it does show up as-if i'd plugged in another thumb drive!
It must be noted for some if not all synology NASes you may need optional "exFAT access" to access exFAT partitions, I know I had to do this also in order to acces exFAT-formatted thumb drives.

I would guess based on this small test as long as the reader presents itself as any other usb mass storage medium, it just might work :)

On 7/11/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mikensan said:

https://freefilesync.org/

works well and can be done via a CLI, good for scripting, or you can use it's real time sync function and get it to sync two or more folders in real time.

i would recommend the script CLI so that all they have to do is type a command, execute a shortcut or press a button and it will do it automatically.

depending on your NAS os, you could do this via an addon/plugin but that depends on what you are using, this would make it easier so they can do it remotely and monitor it's progress while it's being processed

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N