What's possible

My great uncle gave me an old laptop for my birthday that's runs windows, I don't know if it's possible to install windows 10 but if it is can someone help me?20190709_160950.thumb.jpg.331cb6f03a3876f18e908ea78f8bab3e.jpg20190709_161025.thumb.jpg.0aae857d0b99f93c8ecebce4ee54ec72.jpg20190709_161057.thumb.jpg.7b430204775a22c4ddba07f5aaaac08f.jpg

20190709_161045.jpg

3 minutes ago, SamLeo678 said:

My great uncle gave me an old laptop for my birthday 

its a scam...

take that windows 10 requires 2gb ram only.

i have even older laptop ran windows10

8 minutes ago, SamLeo678 said:

My great uncle gave me an old laptop for my birthday that's runs windows, I don't know if it's possible to install windows 10 but if it is can someone help me?

It will run but, pending the mileage of that laptop it may be slugish. 

I would say give it try, if it works it works. If it doesnt it doesnt.

Nothing gained if nothing tried.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

20190709_221828_HDR.thumb.jpg.c455243cbc43050b6f64d8fc66b94248.jpg20190709_221855_HDR.thumb.jpg.5b4c5a86fe4733b977705409f76e4f98.jpgIs this your only PC? A Pentium III I think will technically work with Windows 10 but it will be slow. If it were me, I'd stick to an older 32 bit operating system or perhaps a lightweight Linux distro. Also, does it have a DVD drive? The ISO for Windows 10 is bigger than a CD IIRC and that won't support booting from a USB stick, which would only be 1.0 speeds anyways. I have nearly the same one and mine only has a floppy drive.

technically it will work but it will be totally useless because of the high idle usage.

If that's what you got for your birthday, your uncle is sadistic and is trying to punish you for simply existing. Even the D6xx and D8xx are better and run W10 better.

The Latitude D5xx are just piles of old shit that should immediately be recycled.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

17 minutes ago, Contreramanjaro said:

20190709_221828_HDR.thumb.jpg.c455243cbc43050b6f64d8fc66b94248.jpg20190709_221855_HDR.thumb.jpg.5b4c5a86fe4733b977705409f76e4f98.jpgIs this your only PC? A Pentium III I think will technically work with Windows 10 but it will be slow. If it were me, I'd stick to an older 32 bit operating system or perhaps a lightweight Linux distro. Also, does it have a DVD drive? The ISO for Windows 10 is bigger than a CD IIRC and that won't support booting from a USB stick, which would only be 1.0 speeds anyways. I have nearly the same one and mine only has a floppy drive.

Yes it has a dvd drive 

1 minute ago, SamLeo678 said:

Yes it has a dvd drive 

Give it a shot. I'd still put my money on Linux but you never know until you try. Those later PIIIs were pretty decent.

34 minutes ago, Contreramanjaro said:

Give it a shot. I'd still put my money on Linux but you never know until you try. Those later PIIIs were pretty decent.

I had some windows 7 discs but I can't find them so I guess I have to install linux but I don't how to do that 

37 minutes ago, SamLeo678 said:

I had some windows 7 discs but I can't find them so I guess I have to install linux but I don't how to do that 

Well, there are a lot of distros to try. Distros are basically different versions of linux with different feature sets. So something like Ubuntu is known for being very easy to work with if you know windows but it's very heavy (like windows). Maybe to start off with try something like Linux Mint. Use the 32bit version. Then follow the instructions.

The long and short of it is, download the ISO file. Burn that to a disc. Write it as a disc image. Windows 10 lets you do this with a right click on the ISO file and a blank disc in the drive. I think Mac you have to use disc utility but it's been a while since I've done this on Mac. Once that finishes, put your new install disc in the Dell and it will probably say "press any key to boot from CD" Do so.

To be honest with you, you just need to accept that there will be some learning involved and it will take some time. As you get to understand the process you may wish to switch to another distro.

A couple of key words:

graphical installation - Basically installing like windows with a mouse and stuff.

live CD - running the OS directly from the CD. Nice for trying out different distros, bad for everyday use.

64-bit - newer processors use a 64 bit instruction set. Your PIII doesn't support this. Also may be called AMD64 or x86_64

32-bit - This is your build. May also be called i386 or x86.

And for all the people that will read this and bring all of their linux opinions along, just untag me.

And if you need an XP ISO again, Archive.org has some. But use random ISOs at your own risk.

Oh by the way. It may be worth starting a post on the Linux Board. I mainly use Windows and Macintosh so I'm a Linux novice at best. Those guys are a lot more in tune with the current world of Linux and may be able to offer you better advice.

4 hours ago, SamLeo678 said:

I don't know if it's possible to install windows 10 but if it is can someone help me?

I might be possible, but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Given the age of that machine it's bound to be woefully underpowered for Windows 10. Unless it rather amazingly has 4GB of RAM and a decent dual core processor it'll be as much fun as running naked through a field covered in giant hogweed.