Here we go again...

sirlamchops25

Long story short, I've been having many PC issues recently, specifically with graphics cards. My original card I used was an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080, which was fried by a leaking DeepCool AIO cooler. Since then, I have sent my GPU and AIO back to DeepCool's facility in China, so they can run tests to conclude whether my GPU death was caused by the AIO leak.

For the time being, I am using a Zotac Mini GTX 1080, which I received from my friend about a month ago. He had claimed that it was broken due to a lack of display and when I initially tested it, I ran into the same problem. However, when my original 1080 died, I was forced to try and find solutions on my own, as my Ryzen 1600 does not have native graphics. Upon reapplying thermal paste and padding to the Zotac 1080, I was able to get it to "work." This leads to my next issue, whenever I play a game, the display crashes a few minutes in, showing me a bugged out screen. However, my PC does not crash but more often than not I am forced to shut it down by holding the power button. 

So far methods I have tried are:

-increasing the power limit on MSI Afterburner to 115%, while downclocking the memory and core, both by around 120mHz

-redownloading drivers

-reapplying thermal paste (also to check if there were visible damages to capacitors or anything else under the hood- found nothing that seemed out of the ordinary)

-lowering my CPU clock (not sure if relevant)

-switching the 8-pin connector cable from PSU to GPU

If anyone can give me any input/advice on this please let me know! My last resort is to buy a new GPU, but I really hope it does not come down to that

Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75 gHz     ???     RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition

ASUS ROG Strix X-470-F     ???     Fractal Design Meshify C

500GB WD Blue Sata SSD     ???     Samsung  970EVO 500GB

2TB Seagate Firecude 3.5"     ???     2x8 Gb GSkill TridentZ RGB @3000mHz

Corsair CX650M

3 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

Upon reapplying thermal paste and padding to the Zotac 1080, I was able to get it to "work."

I would argue that just becuase it shows a signal after already being dead once , doesn't mean it works.

4 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

whenever I play a game, the display crashes a few minutes in, showing me a bugged out screen.

Yeah that just sounds like a fried gpu or vram. I would lean toward gpu as bad vram usually show artifacts even in 2d apps.

i wouldn't bother and just buy another gpu or see if the 1080 is still under warranty.

5 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

I have sent my GPU and AIO back to DeepCool's facility in China, so they can run tests to conclude whether my GPU death was caused by the AIO leak.

I have never heard of someone sending a component to a totally different manufacturer or a different component to determine if it was their own fault.

I'm willing whatever deepcool rep you talked to wanted to call your bluff on sending it to them and when you did they are simply going to say they were not at fault anyway.

8 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

My last resort is to buy a new GPU

Sadly, that's where you are. GFX cards are very binary. Either they work, or they don't. And there is no real fixing them, unless you are very good with a soldering iron and technical testing equipment to find the failed components.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

I would argue that just becuase it shows a signal after already being dead once , doesn't mean it works.

Yeah that just sounds like a fried gpu or vram. I would lean toward gpu as bad vram usually show artifacts even in 2d apps.

i wouldn't bother and just buy another gpu or see if the 1080 is still under warranty.

I have never heard of someone sending a component to a totally different manufacturer or a different component to determine if it was their own fault.

I'm willing whatever deepcool rep you talked to wanted to call your bluff on sending it to them and when you did they are simply going to say they were not at fault anyway.

so the Zotac 1080 still works in normal use, I am typing this from the PC that has the card inside it - it just cant run games

and as for my other 1080 (ROG Strix), I did some research on my own before going through their RMA process

1) Asus has horrible customer service and even though my card was under warranty, there was no guarantee that they would provide me with a fix, because an external factor led to the GPU failure

2) DeepCool has had many of its AIO's burst or leak on many people - just look it up on Google, and I have seen where people do get reimbursed a sum of money from DeepCool bc the faulty cooler destroyed their PC/GPU

3) I had nothing more to lose, GPU and cooler were 100% shot and beyond my own repair, might as well try

Corsair CX650M

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sadly, that's where you are. GFX cards are very binary. Either they work, or they don't. And there is no real fixing them, unless you are very good with a soldering iron and technical testing equipment to find the failed components.

unfortunately I am not, which makes this whole situation for me really shitty ngl

Corsair CX650M

Just now, sirlamchops25 said:

so the Zotac 1080 still works in normal use, I am typing this from the PC that has the card inside it - it just cant run games

ok , then it doesn't work

if i have a lawn mower , that runs , but doesn't cut grass... then it doesnt work.

As for the rest hopefully deepcool will give you your money back then

3 minutes ago, sirlamchops25 said:

unfortunately I am not

I am sorry, I am not either.

On the slightly bright side, a new(er) used video card shouldn't set you back too much, given the mining craze is over (for now) and the cards I've seen on eBay and the like are quite affordable now...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, emosun said:

ok , then it doesn't work

if i have a lawn mower , that runs , but doesn't cut grass... then it doesnt work.

As for the rest hopefully deepcool will give you your money back then

no need to sound condescending... the whole point of me posting this thread is to seek help in potentially reviving a half broken GPU, as I have already experienced 2 different 1080s breaking on me within the past week and I really do not have the budget to just splash out on another high end card...

Corsair CX650M