PC upgrade or just build a new one?

my Current build

i5 4590

8GB 1600 DDR3 Memory

GTX 980ti

Hyper Cooler 212 CPU cooler

XFX XTR 550w Fully Modular Gold+PSU

I don’t game as much as I use too, as now I have gotten into doing more video encoding and GPU based upscaling. I was wondering is it worth me getting an i7 4790k for. $160 or should I just look into building a whole new system. If the latter choice what options would you suggest for a build that works for my needs. Thanks for reading everyone. 

Honeslty if you're not gaming as much I'd go for a new platform, preferably Ryzen for the cores since you're into video encoding and stuff. They're still killing the gaming front too.

My suggestion would be to either hop into the 2000-series Ryzen if you get a good deal or the 3000- series if you want the latest and greatest. You'd basically need new RAM, DDR4, and a cooler if you don't want the stock version. Any motherboard will do as long as you get the features you want! :)

2 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Honeslty if you're not gaming as much I'd go for a new platform, preferably Ryzen for the cores since you're into video encoding and stuff. They're still killing the gaming front too.

My suggestion would be to either hop into the 2000-series Ryzen if you get a good deal or the 3000- series if you want the latest and greatest. You'd basically need new RAM, DDR4, and a cooler if you don't want the stock version. Any motherboard will do as long as you get the features you want! :)

Thanks. I’ll look into builds with that platform.