What would I need to upgrade?

i've been recently getting more into photography and videography while tinkering with after effects and photoshop, but i've noticed that those programs are running a lil bit too slow for me. i've been using the same build since 2014 which shall be listed here

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 4790
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z97 GUARD-PRO
  • RAM
    Patriot Viper III 8 GB
  • GPU
    XFX R9 280 Double Dissipation 3GB
  • Case
    Corsair 300R
  • Storage
    HGST 1TB
  • PSU
    Antec HCG-620M
  • Display(s)
    Acer H236HL
  • Cooling
    Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Corsair STRAFE
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 RGB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

i was considering upgrading my storage system as my hard drive has been excruciatingly loud ever since the day i got it but it hasn't caused any trouble in terms of containing media. since the drive is somewhat old and on the "lower" side of the quality spectrum i was wondering if it was possible that my drive could play a contributing factor into why both ae and ps are running slow? would a newer/faster drive help that? since money is a little tight as i transition into college soon, i was conflicted on pairing my new hard drive with an ssd as a boot drive and load prioritized programs on there -- such as ps and ae, or upgrade my ram to 16gb. which of the two options would more directly help me use adobe software more comfortably? i'm located in the us!

8 minutes ago, MattTheMayor said:

i've been recently getting more into photography and videography while tinkering with after effects and photoshop, but i've noticed that those programs are running a lil bit too slow for me. i've been using the same build since 2014 which shall be listed here

Reveal hidden contents
  • CPU
    i7 4790
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z97 GUARD-PRO
  • RAM
    Patriot Viper III 8 GB
  • GPU
    XFX R9 280 Double Dissipation 3GB
  • Case
    Corsair 300R
  • Storage
    HGST 1TB
  • PSU
    Antec HCG-620M
  • Display(s)
    Acer H236HL
  • Cooling
    Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Corsair STRAFE
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 RGB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

i was considering upgrading my storage system as my hard drive has been excruciatingly loud ever since the day i got it but it hasn't caused any trouble in terms of containing media. since the drive is somewhat old and on the "lower" side of the quality spectrum i was wondering if it was possible that my drive could play a contributing factor into why both ae and ps are running slow? would a newer/faster drive help that? since money is a little tight as i transition into college soon, i was conflicted on pairing my new hard drive with an ssd as a boot drive and load prioritized programs on there -- such as ps and ae, or upgrade my ram to 16gb. which of the two options would more directly help me use adobe software more comfortably? i'm located in the us!

Can you please tell us your current rig or put it in the signature.  Thanks

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

SSD should be your biggest priority- 256GB or higher, 120 will disappear like nothing.

More ram will definitely help within those CC apps

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Can you please tell us your current rig or put it in the signature.  Thanks

its in the spoiler in the post

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

SSD should be your biggest priority- 256GB or higher, 120 will disappear like nothing.

More ram will definitely help within those CC apps

so should i pair my new hdd with an ssd instead of getting more ram? will i notice any improvements while using cc apps with an ssd?

Just now, MattTheMayor said:

its in the spoiler in the post

so should i pair my new hdd with an ssd instead of getting more ram? will i notice any improvements while using cc apps with an ssd?

You'll notice an overall system acceleration. Windows will boot much faster, it will be much snappier. If you install any of the CC apps onto it as well you'll see a decent performance increase with similar characteristics.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

13 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You'll notice an overall system acceleration. Windows will boot much faster, it will be much snappier. If you install any of the CC apps onto it as well you'll see a decent performance increase with similar characteristics.

10 years late, but welcome to SSD world.  Where you OS boots in 10 seconds.  A SSD is the best upgrade that you will see a huge difference and like SLottr said it will be snappy, opening up things the whole OS will be on steriods with a SSD.  Best upgrade I ever made in my life long long long time ago when I got my first SSD

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card