Questions about surge protecting Ethernet

TubsAlwaysWins

So does anyone know how beneficial using one of the Unifi Ethernet Surge Protectors https://www.ui.com/accessories/ethernet-surge-protector/ is, compared to what their POE bricks and switches can offer? (On properly made ESD shielded cable) Im assuming that its better to lose a $15 surge protector compared to a $200 switch but im just curious if anyone knows much about this

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I think that you would still have a PoE injector or switch in the chain. This would be for outside-mounted devices like cameras or outdoor APs that could be struck by lightning, causing a huge surge of power. The surge protector would either take it or possibly die, but should prevent the excess power from coming into the house and killing the injector/switch. 

I suppose it would also help the other way - if your house/utility power surges this device would theoretically save the AP/camera from death. But only after the surge had killed everything else before it. 

Desktop: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 2400MHz | GTX 1070 EVGA FTW | 256GB NVMe + 1TB SSD

Primary Server: i9-9900K @ 5GHz | 128GB DDR4 2666MHz | GT 750 Ti | 1TB NVMe + 80TB HDD

Secondary Server: Xeon X5675 @ 3.1GHz | 96GB DDR3 1366MHz ECC | Quadro 2000 | 1TB SSD + 16TB HDD

Backup server (old desktop): i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | GTX 660 MSI TF2 | 2TB SSD

2 hours ago, hgpot said:

I think that you would still have a PoE injector or switch in the chain. This would be for outside-mounted devices like cameras or outdoor APs that could be struck by lightning, causing a huge surge of power. The surge protector would either take it or possibly die, but should prevent the excess power from coming into the house and killing the injector/switch. 

I suppose it would also help the other way - if your house/utility power surges this device would theoretically save the AP/camera from death. But only after the surge had killed everything else before it. 

I know I still have to have the POE injector or switch in, im just wondering how good their grounding capabilities are. Im just gonna put in the protectors as well though since I have enough on site for this project

Breaking things 1 day at a time