Choosing a router...

deim

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me an advice for selecting a router. I have a few requirements for it:

1) At least 150 mbps capability

2) Ability to allow/deny devices by mac-address in addition to password.

3) Flexible speed configuration, allow change speed for whole network and per device.

Would be great if you could connect to it via ssh, so changes of its configuration could be done by scripts.

As a person who only used a TP-Link that came free from my previous ISP, I have no idea where to start or what to look at. Any advice would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, deim said:

) At least 150 mbps capability

Just get a wireless AC router and you will be fine. AC routers should be able to hit much above 150 Mbps

1 hour ago, deim said:

Ability to allow/deny devices by mac-address in addition to password.

Most routers have this ability. Its called Mac address filtering. The issue is, its easy to defeat. Just spoof the mac address. My advice is to make sure all your clients use WPA 2 with AES. OR you could look in to a Radius server. Though thats a little above me. 

1 hour ago, deim said:

Flexible speed configuration, allow change speed for whole network and per device.

I would guess this would fall in line under QoS options. Most consumer grade routers have shitty options here.  However looking at my Synology RT2600 AC reveals that I can limit or guarantee bandwidth to select devices. Ive never used this feature and dont know how well it works. This might be more of a business class feature or something like PFsense feature. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, small update. A friend of mine gave me a Mikrotik hAP mini when I asked him for an advise. Will try it and try to update the topic to say if it meets my expectations.