Hard drives/SSDs not showing in boot priority

TwixOps

Issue: none of my HDDs/SSDs show as bootable in BIOS, only an M.2 without an OS appears in that list.   

What I was doing when it broke: switching the physical SATA ports in my MB to which the drives were connected (moved two HDDs from the ASmedia controller to the Intel controller so I could use Intel RAPID to create a RAID array)

Symptoms: 

Attached picture shows the issue - connected drives are visible in "storage configuration" in bottom left but not in "boot priority" on right.  

IMG_20190622_221620.thumb.jpg.32b2d047dc000cc42cb77c1e6466115a.jpg

What I've tried so far:.

Moved boot ssd back to ASmedia controller (SATA3_A1)

Result: no improvement

Disabled M.2 drive by forcing its SATA lanes to go to SATA3_0 and _1 in BIOS (they share lanes, to use that m.2 slot, you lose 2 SATA ports)

Result:  m.2 drive disappeared from bios

Disabled compatibility support middle in BIOS.

Result: m.2 drive disappeared from boot priority list

Disabled fast boot

Moved boot SSD to SATA3_0 and forced the SATA/m.2 switch to SATA in BIOS.

Result: m.2 drive disappeared from bios, boot ssd appeared on SATA3_0 but not in boot priority list

Disabled RAID and XMP for the hell of it

EDIT: cleared CMOS

Result: no effect

Hardware

MB - ASrock z370 gaming k6

CPU - i7 8700k

Storage

-120gb SSD (boot) Samsung 840 Evo

-2x WD 2TB drives

-WD 500GB drive

-480GB Kingston m.2 drive

System was fully functional before I moved SATA ports

Edited by TwixOps
Added to list of attempted fixes

5 minutes ago, TwixOps said:

Issue: none of my HDDs/SSDs show as bootable in BIOS, only an M.2 without an OS appears in that list.   

What I was doing when it broke: switching the physical SATA ports in my MB to which the drives were connected (moved two HDDs from the ASmedia controller to the Intel controller so I could use Intel RAPID to create a RAID array)

Symptoms: 

Attached picture shows the issue - connected drives are visible in "storage configuration" in bottom left but not in "boot priority" on right.  

IMG_20190622_221620.thumb.jpg.32b2d047dc000cc42cb77c1e6466115a.jpg

What I've tried so far:.

Moved boot ssd back to ASmedia controller (SATA3_A1)

Disabled M.2 drive by forcing its SATA lanes to go to SATA3_0 and _1 in BIOS (they share lanes, to use that m.2 slot, you lose 2 SATA ports)

Result:  m.2 drive disappeared from bios

Disabled compatibility support middle in BIOS.

Result: m.2 drive disappeared from boot priority list

Disabled fast boot

Moved boot SSD to SATA3_0 and forced the SATA/m.2 switch to SATA in BIOS.

Result: m.2 drive disappeared from bios, boot ssd appeared on SATA3_0 but not in boot priority list

Disabled RAID and XMP for the hell of it

Hardware

MB - ASrock z370 gaming k6

CPU - i7 8700k

Storage

-120gb SSD (boot) Samsung 840 Evo

-2x WD 2TB drives

-WD 500GB drive

-480GB Kingston m.2 drive

System was fully functional before I moved SATA ports

I think the best course of action at this point is to reset the CMOS settings (factory reset bios settings). Don't do this if you have data on any intel RAID arrays. At that point you should be back at square 1, and we can help you properly set up the bios for intel raid.

7 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

I think the best course of action at this point is to reset the CMOS settings (factory reset bios settings). Don't do this if you have data on any intel RAID arrays. At that point you should be back at square 1, and we can help you properly set up the bios for intel raid.

Clearing CMOS had no effect.  

Just now, TwixOps said:

Clearing CMOS had no effect.  

Really? that's confusing... When you where "switching the drives to the intel controller", where you physically moving the sata ports around, or where you changing settings in the bios?

Just now, MineParker101 said:

Really? that's confusing... When you where "switching the drives to the intel controller", where you physically moving the sata ports around, or where you changing settings in the bios?

Physically moved two SATA cables from SATA3_A0 and A1 (ASmedia controller) to SATA3_4 and _5 (Intel controller)

1 minute ago, TwixOps said:

Physically moved two SATA cables from SATA3_A0 and A1 (ASmedia controller) to SATA3_4 and _5 (Intel controller)

Could you go into "advances settings" and find the storage options there and send screenshots of what they are set to?

5 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

Could you go into "advances settings" and find the storage options there and send screenshots of what they are set to?

Here you are

IMG_20190622_225727.thumb.jpg.838e219a2887e01189f21fbbf6ba4d84.jpg

Options, note m.2/SATA switch I referenced earlier (highlighted)

IMG_20190622_225736.thumb.jpg.ff4c67773814025b4e7f582da130dd61.jpg

Further down, connected devices.  

Also, in case you want it, here is the boot settings window, note the CSM I referenced in OP at the bottom.  IMG_20190622_225829.thumb.jpg.69aa15129e92f4051ad20f5e4d23bbd5.jpg

Kingston m.2 drive is the only one that appears in boot option drop-down list

3 minutes ago, TwixOps said:

Here you are 

You said you cleared the CMOS, did u try clicking the load factory defaults option in the exit tab, then save the settings? Maybe the results will be better? A CMOS Reset should of done it, but it never hurts to try.

2 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

You said you cleared the CMOS, did u try clicking the load factory defaults option in the exit tab, then save the settings? Maybe the results will be better? A CMOS Reset should of done it, but it never hurts to try.

I did both before and just for the hell of it but both again just now.  

I'm beginning to think that either this board is haunted or I experienced 4 simultaneous drive failures

1 minute ago, TwixOps said:

I did both before and just for the hell of it but both again just now.  

I'm beginning to think that either this board is haunted or I experienced 4 simultaneous drive failures

Yea this is very strange. Every motherboard is different in how is tells how a drive is "bootable". Some just put all drives in the boot list, only formatted ones, ones with valid boot sectors, i've even seen one that would look for windows and if you didn't have windows you had to specifically say its a non-windows os on the drive. I'm starting to think, since it detects the drives are connected and it can see them, that the motherboard can boot from the drives, but for some reason it doesn't think it can. When you reboot your computer without going into bios, does it say there is no bootable device, missing operating system, or just go to the bios setup?

28 minutes ago, TwixOps said:

Here you are

-snip

Options, note m.2/SATA switch I referenced earlier (highlighted)

-snip-

Further down, connected devices.  

-snip-

Also, in case you want it, here is the boot settings window, note the CSM I referenced in OP at the bottom.  

Kingston m.2 drive is the only one that appears in boot option drop-down list

Hard Drive BBS priorities only show your SSD too?

Is it a GPT or an MBR disk? 

Try disable RAID mode?

Try toggle CSM enable/disable

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well, for better or worse I have progress... When I came back into the room, the BIOS was frozen.  After force restarting the computer, it didn't make POST, and upon further investigation the MB is reading code 00.  

Now, It doesn't make sense that these issues could even be related... Maybe all the hard resets cooked something important because something somewhere is well and truly fried.  In any case, this is a problem for tomorrow's me.  I'll probably start by pulling off the clc, and if that doesn't end any insights, I'll try buying a new PSU.  

EDIT: Could I have somehow killed the BIOS?  Would that cause a post code 00?