Pop OS installation blocking

Go to solution Solved by lloose,

I had a similar problem. I burned my ISO to usb using Rufus on Windows. Just about when I was going to give up, I used Etcher to create the ISO USB instead and it worked like a charm. This was after trying Rufus in dd mode too. Give Etcher a shot.

Hi guys,

so I wanted to give POP OS a try after seeing it in the videos. But I get neither the LTS nor the 19.04 version to install. After selecting the region, the installer stops after selecting the keyboard layout. I tried selecting other layouts but it didn't work. Do you have an Idea ?

Cheers

3 minutes ago, flololan said:

Hi guys,

so I wanted to give POP OS a try after seeing it in the videos. But I get neither the LTS nor the 19.04 version to install. After selecting the region, the installer stops after selecting the keyboard layout. I tried selecting other layouts but it didn't work. Do you have an Idea ?

Cheers

Can you post a screenshot? Have you tried a different distribution?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what hardware?

Try a different distro like ubuntu or fedor swell.

Hardware is also in my profile: 

• CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    MSI B150A
  • RAM
    16GB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1070

I thought installing Pop OS directly was better regarding the Nvidia support?

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Can you post a screenshot? Have you tried a different distribution?

I only tried pop os. I will add a screenshot asap

Edit here the shot:

The installation starts like any other and after confirming the selection, nothing moves. It stays like this and I cant go back or anything. I just can log out and back in to start the installer again but it doesn't fix it

IMG_20190616_222747.jpg

7 minutes ago, flololan said:

The installation starts like any other and after confirming the selection, nothing moves. It stays like this and I cant go back or anything. I just can log out and back in to start the installer again but it doesn't fix it

Try downloading and writing the installation medium again, it may be corrupted.

Try waiting half an hour or so to make sure it's actually frozen. If that's the case the installer may be running into some compatibility problem with your hardware; I suggest you try installing Ubuntu, it's pretty similar to Pop_OS and you may have better luck with the installer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks so far!

So I looked a bit further with my roommate and we were able to see in the logs that the last thing the installer does is recognize my windows partition. We then launched the installer from terminal without access to the drives and we were able to get past the step where it hanged before. But still not able to install it.

Soooo any ideas? My (a bit over the top-)method would be to just get another harddrive just for pop os but I would prefer a double boot on the same drive as I already have too many harddrives in my system.

1 minute ago, flololan said:

Thanks so far!

So I looked a bit further with my roommate and we were able to see in the logs that the last thing the installer does is recognize my windows partition. We then launched the installer from terminal without access to the drives and we were able to get past the step where it hanged before. But still not able to install it.

Soooo any ideas? My (a bit over the top-)method would be to just get another harddrive just for pop os but I would prefer a double boot on the same drive as I already have too many harddrives in my system.

Do you want to dualboot or wipe? You can just wipe the hdd in the terminal then install.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want to dualboot or wipe? You can just wipe the hdd in the terminal then install.

I wanted to try first before I wipe. So dualboot. I just checked, I have a spare ssd but no power cords left ?

2 minutes ago, flololan said:

I wanted to try first before I wipe. So dualboot. I just checked, I have a spare ssd but no power cords left ?

you can get the ssd power cords supr cheap.

Id use a vm if you just want to try it.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can get the ssd power cords supr cheap.

Id use a vm if you just want to try it.

Well I guess that's what I will have to do. Sad tho cause I wanted to see if it could replace Windows (including games)

Thanks for your help

Just now, flololan said:

Well I guess that's what I will have to do. Sad tho cause I wanted to see if it could replace Windows (including games)

Thanks for your help

if you want to dual boot, did you shrink your main partition first?

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if you want to dual boot, did you shrink your main partition first?

I wanted to follow the guide: https://pop.system76.com/docs/dual-booting-windows/

But I just tried shrinking the partition manually with gparted before starting the installer, same result

Update: just found that when the installer hangs there is a "fsck.fat" process at 100% CPU so I'm gonna leave it for the night and give an update tomorrow.

I had a similar problem. I burned my ISO to usb using Rufus on Windows. Just about when I was going to give up, I used Etcher to create the ISO USB instead and it worked like a charm. This was after trying Rufus in dd mode too. Give Etcher a shot.

1 hour ago, lloose said:

Thank you! I used LiLi USB and with etcher it works now....