Laptop Network Issues

koji

I recently sold my laptop to my good friend, Lenovo Y50-70 Touch, i7 4th Gen with GTX 860M and Windows 10. I never had issues with the wifi because the router is just really close to where I use the laptop.

Now my friend is having wifi issues at their house as intermittent even when near the router, we uninstalled and reinstalled every version of the drivers but still same issue. We noticed that if we connected the wifi to our mobile data hotspot, the connection is smooth. So first thought is that maybe there's something wrong with the router, but every other device connects to the router without issues, also we used a USB Wifi Adapter on the laptop and had no issues connecting with the router. There must be something going on with the specific connection of the laptop and router.. I hope someone here could help us pin point the problem.

One solution we both agreed is for me to just provide a USB Wifi Adapter for him to use, but I wanna know what's causing the problem. I feel bad selling something that has issues to a good friend of mine. Thank you for responding.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

Have you checked if the Wi-Fi card inside the laptop or the antenna(s) connecting to it is OK?

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

2 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Have you checked if the Wi-Fi card inside the laptop or the antenna(s) connecting to it is OK?

I did that too. The WiFi card has 2 wires connected to them, one wire is taped on the SSD (which is taped to HDD before but I upgraded it to SSD a year ago) then the other is taped on the battery.

Maybe the one taped to HDD before boosts its signal because the HDD is metal? But it's weird because when we open our mobile hotspot the laptop has no issues connecting.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W