Open air cases ok for cooling???

kiwibacon

Hi

I have a thermaltech p5 case. I used to do water cooling on it but no longer do.

Do I need a different case for cooling on air?

Since it has no edges to case but my CPU cooler blows air on ram. 

Thanks

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

1 minute ago, kiwibacon said:

Do I need a different case for cooling on air?

Since it has no edges to case but my CPU cooler blows air on ram.

any cooler shall do.

vrms and rams are designed to be passively cooled 

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

any cooler shall do.

vrms and rams are designed to be passively cooled 

I sorta mean since my case doesnt have fans. Will it be ok. You know passively cooled still needs air flow.

2 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

I sorta mean since my case doesnt have fans. Will it be ok. You know passively cooled still needs air flow.

same, no need

13 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

Should be, best way is to run some benchmarks and see the temps. Can always set a larger fan pointed towards the pc for some form of airflow 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Should be, best way is to run some benchmarks and see the temps. Can always set a larger fan pointed towards the pc for some form of airflow 

Cheers. I guess it's no different to having a test bench. 

I have a p3 on air and get better temps than when I had an airflow optimized case.  Running NH-U14S with one fan and that's it.  Graphics card is air as well.  I honestly may never go back to a regular case unless my desk situation requires more protection.  It's a breeze to make adjustments.

10 hours ago, Vajra said:

I have a p3 on air and get better temps than when I had an airflow optimized case.  Running NH-U14S with one fan and that's it.  Graphics card is air as well.  I honestly may never go back to a regular case unless my desk situation requires more protection.  It's a breeze to make adjustments.

Ok thanks for that. I guess air doesnt get trapped inside so it just passively cools through convection.

13 hours ago, kiwibacon said:

Ok thanks for that. I guess air doesnt get trapped inside so it just passively cools through convection.

Generally speaking, the components that need fans have them.  Stuff like VRM's, m.2, and Ram are cooled perfectly fine by their heat sinks passively.  With a large enough sink for a CPU you could even get away with it depending on what you were doing.

I think we will see more passive tech being sold in the coming years as companies have already started playing around with the idea.  Noctua even had a passive cooler concept on display at Computex that cooled a 9900k running a stress test without throttling.