Airflow insufficiency

L0velyAmethyst

I’m using a MB600l CoolerMaster case with a ryzen 7 2700x and a rtx 2080 founder edition. My idle temperature is acceptable at round 3x degree with around 22 ambient degree. My concern is whenever I’m rocking with heavy gaming the graphics card always peaks at 80 despite the cpu running at round 60 to 70. My thought is that the case isn’t having enough airflow since there is only 1 outflow fan mounted at the back and 2 of my inflow fans from the radiator (240mm) and there is no top-mounting slots for extra fan. I need some advice to solve this one out. Much appreciated 

1st edit: My case seems to be very warm when I touch it and I have kind of messy cable management which hopefully doesn’t block the airflow

During gaming you don't really use 100% CPU like you do GPU, hence the temps you're seeing. If you ran Prime95 Small FFTs you'd see max CPU temp for the most part.

2 intakes and 1 outtake is ideal, to create positive pressure, as long as the intakes aren't being choked too heavily. You could try something with higher static pressure for intake fans and might see cooler temps. Especially since the whole front of your case is pretty much blocked off and allows little to no airflow.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

28 minutes ago, L0velyAmethyst said:

I’m using a MB600l CoolerMaster case

It appears that airflow would be heavily restricted in that case, with what appears to be only a very narrow slit for ventilation along the side of the front panel. Not enough to provide adequate air flow.

image.png.c040cc6bc2352437269d5e1885edf14a.png

Try removing the front panel or the side panel from the case and see if the temperatures improve.

30 minutes ago, L0velyAmethyst said:

My concern is whenever I’m rocking with heavy gaming the graphics card always peaks at 80 despite the cpu running at round 60 to 70.

I believe that 80°C is the temp target set for RTX 2080 cards, so it's possible that your boost clocks will be suffering as the card tries to maintain that temperature. You can use software such as MSI Afterburner or HWinfo64 to monitor your GPU clocks in games and see if the clock speed is dropping in order to keep to the target temperature.
Keep this in mind as even if you remove the side/front panel the graphics card may still go close to 80C, but your clock speeds may be boosting significantly higher.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

During gaming you don't really use 100% CPU like you do GPU, hence the temps you're seeing. If you ran Prime95 Small FFTs you'd see max CPU temp for the most part.

2 intakes and 1 outtake is ideal, to create positive pressure, as long as the intakes aren't being choked too heavily. You could try something with higher static pressure for intake fans and might see cooler temps. Especially since the whole front of your case is pretty much blocked off and allows little to no airflow.

Thanks for the advice. I tried using msi afterburner to downvolt my gpu and the gpu temp immediately dropped down for about 10 degree with nearly the same clock speed. However, I'll bear in my about changing the fan though. Thanks a lot

20 hours ago, Spotty said:

It appears that airflow would be heavily restricted in that case, with what appears to be only a very narrow slit for ventilation along the side of the front panel. Not enough to provide adequate air flow.

image.png.c040cc6bc2352437269d5e1885edf14a.png

Try removing the front panel or the side panel from the case and see if the temperatures improve.

I believe that 80°C is the temp target set for RTX 2080 cards, so it's possible that your boost clocks will be suffering as the card tries to maintain that temperature. You can use software such as MSI Afterburner or HWinfo64 to monitor your GPU clocks in games and see if the clock speed is dropping in order to keep to the target temperature.
Keep this in mind as even if you remove the side/front panel the graphics card may still go close to 80C, but your clock speeds may be boosting significantly higher.

I wasn't paying much attention when grabbing the case and just realised about its bad airflow after I assembled it. I also tried removing the plastic side panel before but keep worrying about the components being directly exposed to dust, etc. About the front panel, it has I/O ports mounted right on top and therefore I can't completely remove it and having it lying on the floor isn't an ideal solution. However, I think I can replace my radiator with a 360mm one to give more breath to the case. Thanks a lot