HELP:Whining PC

jonasa97

Hello all,

Recently it has come to my attention there is a whine coming from my PC. Before, there was nothing of the sort and I have done nothing in particular to make this happen. I have already tried turning all the fans off so that eliminates the issue of breaking fans. I have heard that whining could be coming from a breaking capacitor? Any other ideas on what could be causing this annoying sound? As I've said before. It wasn't there before and I've just started noticing it a few days ago. specs are in description along with the fans which are 2 noctua NFF 12, 1 120mm Silent Wings PWM, 1 140mm silent wings PWM. (VIdeo card is MSI ... Heard those could also whine)

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

is this coil whine you are talking about?

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

is this coil whine you are talking about?

Well, I'm suspecting the graphics card. I'm almost certain it's not the power supply. Can a coil whine develop over time?

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Well, I'm suspecting the graphics card. I'm almost certain it's not the power supply. Can a coil whine develop over time?

Not sure about that, however you have plenty of power for your GPU for it to not coil whine, so not sure if it would. I have a feeling if it were a breaking capacitor, your PC would be dead ._. it could possibly well be your PSU fan? My computer is silent every fan put down to the lowest, however you can't change the speed of your PSU fan, therefore it runs at whatever it desires. and it is the loudest part of my PC. it is still pretty silent, but the only noise you can hear is the PSU fan :c

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

you may have a cable toughing a fan.  unplug each fan one at a time and see if the noise goes away. remember all ways have the computer un-powered when doing this.

that way you will know if its a fan or the GPU or PSU

I would check all of the capacitors on your motherboard and graphics card. one may of leaked and is shorting

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

I would check all of the capacitors on your motherboard and graphics card. one may of leaked and is shorting

I don't know if I've specified it enough in my OP, but I have no issues using the computer. It works just like it always did but it makes this annoying sound that I would like to get rid of. :)

you may have a cable toughing a fan.  unplug each fan one at a time and see if the noise goes away. remember all ways have the computer un-powered when doing this.

that way you will know if its a fan or the GPU or PSU

I've already had a fan touching a cable several times. However, it sounds more like an automatic gun firing rather than a whine :P . I've exchanged the fan to which that happened (stock corsair) so the current fans aren't causing sound because of damage done to them.

Does it only whine when you put high load on it - playing games for example ? Also what size power supply do you have ?

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Does it only whine when you put high load on it - playing games for example ? Also what size power supply do you have ?

I have an AX760 that is 760 watts at platinum efficiency. Also, the PC whines all the time at exactly the same frequency (pitch) and a pretty steady amplitude (loudness) as well.

It may sound bizarre but does your pc have an inbuilt speaker? If so try unplugging it and see if it continues. If you put your ear near the PC is it coming from anywhere in particular?

Also install speed fan and see what temperatures it is running at (link here)

I have an AX760 that is 760 watts at platinum efficiency. Also, the PC whines all the time at exactly the same frequency (pitch) and a pretty steady amplitude (loudness) as well.

The AX760 is based on the Seasonic X series which is infamous for coil whine. Pop your gpu and see if the whine persists. That will pretty much determine if it is the psu or gpu. Although it could be coming from some other component - hdd or H100i pump for example.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.